2.5L N/A Fuel Injector Pump / Timing Belt

The engine shut off after driving about 50km and continued to turn over. When cranking, air comes from the exhaust but has no smell of diesel. I cleaned the sediment filter, changed the fuel filter and primed the system. I got a tow for about 200 meters and the engine turned fine but wouldn't fire. The pump squirted fuel with the filter removed. I'm now guessing that either the timing belt has perhaps broken or there is something wrong with the injector pump. I hope it isn't the latter of the two because the cheapest I could find was 250 quid. Is there a way to find out which it is without removing the timing cover, or what else might be wrong?

I guess it could also be the fuel cut off solenoid, it is getting power but it could have gone bad.

Cheers

Thanks Western, I'll give it a shot before it gets dark.

disconnect one of the injector pipes and see if you're getting fuel to that point...?

I may do that before I remove the timing cover but I doubt the injectors are the problem; because they would have had to all go out at the same time? Otherwise I should be getting at least a little exhaust or a rough start?

WOOOH!!! :lol: Western you are amazing. That was it. I had to think for a second on how to cut the engine off but you saved me a lot of time and aggravation. My buddy wanted me to tell you to hop over the pond so he could kiss your arse. :o

Guest diesel_jim

quick way to tell if the timing belt has broken..... remove the oil filler cap on the rocker cover, shine a torch in, and get someone to crank the engine over....

if nothing moves, your belt is kaput!

quick way to tell if the timing belt has broken..... remove the oil filler cap on the rocker cover, shine a torch in, and get someone to crank the engine over....

if nothing moves, your belt is kaput!

Thanks Jim, I'll remember that if I need to check it another time.

cheers

WOOOH!!! :lol: Western you are amazing. That was it. I had to think for a second on how to cut the engine off but you saved me a lot of time and aggravation. My buddy wanted me to tell you to hop over the pond so he could kiss your arse. :o

Glad it worked, :i-m_so_happy:

tell your buddy to stay over there :blink::wacko::hysterical:

Does the solenoid click when you put the connector on? On my 2,5 n/a, the spade connector just was a loose fit that made the engine stop now and then. When checking, the wire was "hot" no problem, which made me wondering. A new spade connector on the wire solved the problem. ;)