got a wobble on the motorway

lrfarmer

for those who know the road i was coming down telegraph hill (the A38) at about 65 as i got to the bottom the disco started to wobble :o:blink: , i think its back end but can find any thing wong.

once i got on to the slower roads couldn't feel any thing wrong.

any ideas. Yes even the onces i may have checked(or forgotten too) <_<

You didn't say if you had just come off a muddy track, any small clump of mud, fist size or less clinging to the inside or outside of the rim will play hell with the balance and result in a god-awfull shimmy in the steering or overall feeling in the car.

Jack up the rear wheels and check the tyres.

Rotate them and watch them carefully. :ph34r: Look to see if the sidewall seems out of shape or the tread is uneaven.

Sounds to me like a tyre may be about to fail due to broken casing structure. :( If this is the case you may have a bald spot on the tread.

If they seem OK get them ballanced before looking too far anywhere else. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope this helps!!!

any ideas. Yes even the onces i may have checked(or forgotten too) <_<

Sorry in advance about suggesting this but have you had the wheels off recently?

The wheel nuts may have come loose!

I'm usually very careful about the process of hand tightening, dropping the truck down and then tourque tightening properly when refiting wheels only a couple of weeks ago working late I forgot the second tightening on one wheel!

Took 15 miles but loosen they did on that wheel and it sounded a bit like wheel bearings going, then wheel wobble and then whole vehicle shakes.

Jacked up on road side and they were barely half a turn undone but what an effect.

As I said - sorry for mentioning it as it's a bit basic but worth a looksee?

ATB,

PauL

Trailing arm to chassis bushes is my bet. Had it on a Range Rover - anything over 50 and it felt like the back end was trying to steer. Even worse on heavily rutted roads.

Bushes didn't look worn at all, but with the new ones on, it was like driving a different vehicle... Bit of a pig to do, but made easier with a second pair of hands to get everything lined back up for reassembly.

Definitely worth checking the trailing arm bushes,
Trailing arm to chassis bushes is my bet. Had it on a Range Rover - anything over 50 and it felt like the back end was trying to steer. Even worse on heavily rutted roads.

Bushes didn't look worn at all, but with the new ones on, it was like driving a different vehicle... Bit of a pig to do, but made easier with a second pair of hands to get everything lined back up for reassembly.

well the trailing arm to chassis bush had let go from the metal bit so thay were able to move about

new once coming tomorrow

need the disco to tow the 90 to a RTV on sunday.

thanks for all the help

I can't promise that this will solve the problem completely - bear in mind that if those bushes are like that, it may be worth checking the others that other people have mentioned.

You should notice a very big difference, though. Glad it helped...

• 3 weeks later...

the drive down was fine on the way back i loaded the 90 a bit too far forwood but wasn't too bad till i got to the same bit of road that it wobbled on last time. think i need to do the A frame ball as well as there seem to be a small bit of play.

the drive down was fine on the way back i loaded the 90 a bit too far forwood but wasn't too bad till i got to the same bit of road that it wobbled on last time. think i need to do the A frame ball as well as there seem to be a small bit of play.

A Frame Ball -

that will be fun.

I tried to change mine the other day, couldn't even loosen the two big bolts, let alon take it off.

I understand that removing the ball joint from the housing is a real bugger also -

Any one got suggestions or experience of this ?

Filthy.

A Frame Ball -

that will be fun.

I tried to change mine the other day, couldn't even loosen the two big bolts, let alon take it off.

I understand that removing the ball joint from the housing is a real bugger also -

Any one got suggestions or experience of this ?

Filthy.

gas axe and a very big hammer.

or a big hydrolic press

did the one on my 90 took the A frame off heated it up and hammered hell out of the old one

but i did have a job getting the new one back in( could have done with a press)