SVA test replaced by IVA

landmannnn

Plenty of stuff on here writen about the SVA and replacement by IVA. Too much in some people's minds.

The main difference is that the (relatively simple) commercial test is to be aligned to the passenger car test. The commercial test currently doesn't cover some of the trickier areas around bodywork and interior projections. Many of those with land rovers have been tested as commercials.

Anyway.....

Reading this document from VOSA it appears that the light commercial sva is not changing until 2011.

http://www.ampar.com/pdfs/SVA%20to%20IVA%20leaflet.pdf

If this is right it might be a small comfort for some.

Having read the draft regulations / manual - it looks rather good!

It's very explicit about what is a pass and what is a fail. Much less subjective which leaves you much less under the mercy of the examiner.

Contrary to all the scare stories - I couldn't find anything particularly bad or that wasn't sensible.

Si

Got a whole load of stuff about it last week from vosa/dvla and it is less scary than first thought and especially for commercial vehicles where there is little change and as mentioned doesn't change until April 28th 2011.

for passenger its the 28th April this year.

if you ring up the dvla they are sending out a document explaining all the main differences which is quite good.

Cheers

James

I suspected the commercial wouldn't change until later given the, relitive, lack of info available compared to the passenger. TBH, the passenger test dosn't pose too many problems - a few areas did look tricky when I looked but nothing you couldn't work round....

That said, it does make life easier knowing commercial will be here for annother couple of years

I sit on a committee with some of the VOSA policy chaps and their attitude is generally very sensible - trying to write rules which allow clever and interesting vehicles , exclude homebrew deathtraps and try to specify what is and isn't ok in a tight set of rules. Not such an easy job, I think they've done ok - although I'll hold my opinion until the bureaucracy of the public sector has been allowed to chew through the process... :D