Wolf diesel generators

BogMonster

As above - specifically this model

http://www.wolf-online.co.uk/product.asp?id=001640

seems like quite a lot of generator for the money - anybody know what make of engine/alternator they use?

I don't expect it to have the 30,000+ hour life of an aircooled Lister TS series but just wondered what it would be like for living out in the sticks for the odd weekend maybe racking up a couple of hundred hours a year and living in a shed in between times.

Any comments good or bad from anybody please?

There is hundreds of different variations of these about, all branded differently. If you take a look on ebay you wil notice how many different brands there is, but if you look at the machines aside from colours etc they are the same machine, all made in china. For not a lot more money (maybe less!) you can get hold of a Kipor set which are good quality for the money, theres usully a few on ebay too! :D:D:D

So are you saying a Kipor and a Wolf is the same thing? Good comments about the Kipor on here I think.

Main thing for me is that I can buy this one and a similar model (same size but without the acoustic cover) locally and anything else is 3 months away, if it is going to be carp then I will wait, if it isn't then I might get it now. Then again I might not as a large puddle of water around my central heating boiler spells ££££ :(

OK what do people think about this then

http://www.kipor-generators.com/product.asp?id=476

seems quite similar to the Wolf in general spec but quite a bit cheaper.

Yes,

i think this would be a much better bet! Kipor are a big company and they manufacture all the big gensets so you can be assured they know their stuff!!! Also being a large company i should imagine that if you did on the offchance need parts that it wouldnt be a problem, wheras i dont think this would be the case with manufacturers like wolf etc. :P:):)

I noticed that on one of the dealer's sites for Kipor, they are quite open about parts being available, prices etc whereas Wolf seem to be vague on such matters!

Downside is the Kipor is two to three months away and I could use something for mid January :(

Time to get on the scrounge I think :)

W ehave a similar (unbranded) one for our local agricultural show. Good kit but the battery was toast the first time we came to use it in ernest (admittedly we had kept it in a shed for 6 months after purchase before bringing it out for the show). So top tip is to keep a trickle charger or intelligent charger on it at all times when not being used. Very quiet unit but bleedin heavy!.

Well the new Kipor agents in the UK don't have any available till the end of February but there is a Hyundai equivalent which seems like a badge engineering exercise (i.e. another 418cc single cyl air cooled diesel engine with an alternator producing 4500w continuous) probably going to go for one of those I think.

Ta, but I can't collect and even if you could deliver, believe me you don't want to do the paperwork for export of dangerous goods (fuel in the tank... even traces of it on a brand new generator = full dangerous cargo paperwork required, stupid bloody EU HSE regulations :rtfm:)