Nanocom

steve_r2

Hi all,

Just a couple of questions:

1) Is the Nanocom only specific for TD5 Discovery's or is it an all round diagnostic tool for petrol variants as well ?

2) I have a V8 NAS spec Discovery II and would like to purchase a Nanocom (if it is the right piece of equipment) for said vehicle. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what I require and where from.

The other problem being is that I live in Dubai so shipping etc etc.

Many thanks

Steve

I believe it does the Td5 ECU, 10AS alarm system, and the SLABS ECU on a D2 - see here http://www.bearmach.com/Cust_pag/nanocom/index.html - so I don't think it will be any use to a V8 ecu.

I'm also not sure that the NAS vehicles use the same diagnostic interface as a normal model, something in the dim recesses of my mind says that the NAS vehicles were different but I'm not sure of the details :unsure:

There are many options but I can't recommend one in particular (maybe the ones specifically designed for LRs).

For NAS spec LRs a more appropriate forum is http://www.discoweb.org

Here are some places to start that will give you some options:

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15834

http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2192

Do a search, there are more threads on the subject.

cipx2 and Jim,

Thanks guys.

Having checked out both it seems that nearly all NAS cars/trucks etc have OBD I or II (on board diagnostics) for the North American market. This is due to legislation they have over there. As such there seems to be plenty of choices for a diagnostic tool which can interpret fault codes and help sort/clear them at a pretty reasonable cost (from what I have read between $80 - $160 US). So it seems I will head down this route for the time being and find out a little more info.

Thanks again

Steve

Having checked out both it seems that nearly all NAS cars/trucks etc have OBD I or II (on board diagnostics) for the North American market. This is due to legislation they have over there. As such there seems to be plenty of choices for a diagnostic tool which can interpret fault codes and help sort/clear them at a pretty reasonable cost (from what I have read between $80 - $160 US). So it seems I will head down this route for the time being and find out a little more info.

I do suggest you keep in mind that OBDII ONLY covers specific items, and there are probably more of them applicable to Petrol engines than applicable to Diesel engines.

Also bear in mind that Land Rover fit specific electronics (the alarm has been mentioned) that will never be covered by OBDII.

Essentially, I'd say a code reader that is OBDII specific is Engine, Engine, Engine, and that's why they are cheap.

Something that covers the complete Land Rover will be more expensive, but you get more for your money.

If you want more detailed information on OBDII, it's background, development, etc, are you aware there is extensive coverage in the EOBD section of any RAVE disc that covers the Disco II? It's basically a training session for any mechanic who is coming across it for the first time.

As with everything else here, we can only hint. Specifics will be up to you.

Two more general points:

There are many posters on the Blackbox Support Forum (only open to owners of BS kit) who want specific and detailed cures, when all they can offer is the factory DTC. It doesn't work like that, not for ANY Code Reader. The user has to add the DTC to whatever other information he has about the car, and puzzle out the corrective action for himself.

There will never be a list that says DTC = This, to cure it do That.

Secondly, if you want direct input from the boss of Blackbox (and expect a dismissive or even acidic response if you ask him about competing products), then go to the RangeRovers.net Diagnostic or Vendors Forums. You may not be asking about a Range Rover, but I'll be amazed if he can resist answering a specific query.

Do phrase your enquiry so it reflects the research you have done. An open question like 'tell me all about the Facilities of xxxx as applied to a xxxx' will get you the justified dusty answer of 'read the bleeding website', or words to that effect :-))

Good Luck

David,

Thanks for the info.

Like you mentioned the OBD II is for engine management etc. This is primarily what I want.

Maybe given time and money I will progress to the Blackbox, however for the time being I will get an OBD II diagnostic to deal with the annoying "Service Engine Soon" light (even though it is serviced every 5000 kms !)

Thanks

Steve