Bushes? Radius arm to chassis.

jericho

I went to fit a 300tdi axle (complete with radius arms) to my old RR two door chassis this evening,and noticed that the old bushes on the chassis appear to be a different size,both internal and external diameter,from the ones on the arms.

The older spec bushes are smaller on both diameters by about 3 mm.

Is there more than one size bush?

I can assemble the 300arms/300bushes/chassis with a little persuasion,but will this cause any problems if the bushes are too big for the chassis holes?

Thanks , Jerry.

Common belief says NO - they are all the same size.

That's what we thought when we started making X-Joints.

However, it appears that there are two different PCD's for the fixing bolts in addition to two different bores.

The difference is pretty small and you can modify the smaller size by drilling the holes in the bush out from 10.25mm to 12,5.

After market bushes generally have 12.5mm holes which avoids the need for two different sizes.

Si

Early RR chassis mounts will be imperial and are smaller than the metric mounts on later vehicles. Both the internal and external radius on the early bushes are smaller than the later metric ones.

A mate who is fitting 300 type axles with later wide type metric raduis arms front and rear to a comp safari racer based on an old RRC is having to replace the chassis mounts on the front as well as the rear.