Long Live Discovery

mfo20

G/morning everybody,

As a new member to this forum i great you all and present you with my first topic/message.

I drive a 1997 300Tdi Disco with about 150,000 miles on the clock. A bit of an old lady and as I love this car like my wife,I want to give her a second life - facelift.

I am trying to make a list of the 'TO DO' things and categorise them in three sections

Section 1: MUST DO - VITAL

Section 2: COULD DO - but not that vital

Section 3: COSMETICS

I have already on my list a few items like;

full servicing - oil - filters etc.

chaning of squeeling waterpump

chaning of belt tentioner

cleaning out cooling system

changing brake discs, pads, and maybe also the calipers

changing shockabsorbers and maybe fit an upgraded suspension system

some underbody protection

fit new rims and tires

I also have on my list changing of timing belt but I want to get a bit more DIY experience before I start on that job.

My question to the forum is: any hints, advice, ideas on what I should do according to the three different sections is welcome. The main idea behind this is to give the old lady a thorough service to make sure she will run for another 10 years or something like that.

Thanks.

:hysterical: @ landmann

Back on the practical path, I'd buy a decent toolkit and just deal with things as they break (which, let's face it, they will). Every time something breaks or needs attention, take the opportunity to upgrade it if needed. For example, if the exhaust goes, fit a stainless one.

I'd strongly agree with doing some rustproofing ASAP, if it hasn't needed work yet it may do soon so get in there with the wire brush & waxoyl.

Welcome, the top 5 on your list I personally would list as vital the rest asand when time/money allows apart from rust proofing start that yesterday, but mostly remember to keep smiling,once you get to the silly laugh people will start talking