LT77 / LT230 gearbox mounting brackets?

CJRH

In case I need to order new brackets, I am desperate to have them before Christmas as I have 2 weeks off, please can someone confirm if I have the correct part numbers. Also, I have a pair of series diesel rubber mounts, will it be ok to use these are should I use the Defender rubbers? I think the part numbers are:

NRC5743 bracket mounting for chassis gearbox side

NRC5742 bracket mounting for chassis transfer box side

NRC8204, superseded WC110067L square plate for gearbox and transfer box

ANR1808 diesel rubbers

Many thanks, Chris

In case I need to order new brackets, I am desperate to have them before Christmas as I have 2 weeks off, please can someone confirm if I have the correct part numbers. Also, I have a pair of series diesel rubber mounts, will it be ok to use these are should I use the Defender rubbers? I think the part numbers are:

NRC5743 bracket mounting for chassis gearbox side

NRC5742 bracket mounting for chassis transfer box side

NRC8204, superseded WC110067L square plate for gearbox and transfer box

ANR1808 diesel rubbers

Many thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you!

It seems somewhat excessive to purchase new brackets. I hate to imagine what that'll cost!!

I used a set of brackets from a V8 5 speed Range Rover. (LT77 box i think).

Surely you can find some from a breakers yard or someones shed!!

I am running a BorgWarner transferbox at the moment but the mount (Driverside) is the same. (I am pretty sure).

The LT77 bracket LHS would be the same for most LTs i think.

The reason i ask what engine mount you are using is because the discovery the engine is situated in a slightly different sideway position to that of a defender.

You may find that if you use the same gearbox mounts as myself then your engine might be slightly asque!

I am running the same bracket as you pic on post 20 but with V8 engine mount type rubbers. Not sure if there is a difference. My mounts are slightly higher than your but i still have the bottom hole lower thantt the chassis. Only bout an inch though. I have yet to weld a braket mount for the bottom hole!

Cant you lift your gear/transferbox up any higher? Engine would probably need lifting too though.

The mounts on my 110 n/a diesel are completely different and situated higher up i think.

I can take a few pics if you want. Maybe a few days though! Just let me know what you are looking for!

Helps or confuses??

Cheers.

Did you check out rjblanks thread on his 200tdi conversion. A very good writeup.

The brackets are not expensive, NRC5743 is £18.25 inc and 5742 is £25.13 inc so not the end of the world but would obviously like to get hold of a second hand set! Looking at how the engine / gearbox sits in the chassis at the moment I'm not sure I would be any better off as I think the Defender brackets would still sit too low in the chassis. That's why I was wandering if I have put the engine mounts on correctly as it does look like the whole lot needs to sit higher up. Any more pictures would be a great help!

Chris

You should be able to do a simple check for alignment using the following points as references.

1. The front end of the crank should be centred on the cranking handle hole in the front bumper (both vertical and lateral)
  2. The PTO cover on the back of the LT230 should be centred in the hole in the crossmember directly behind the gearbox.
  3. IIRC, there should be 25-30mm clearance between the bottom of the flywheel housing and the crossmember.
  4. The engine and gearbox should sit pretty well level in the chassis.

It might be worth trying to borrow / acquire cheap a 300Tdi Defender gearbox crossmember and associated mounts. The feet for the rubbers are part of the crossmember, so you could kill a couple of birds with one stone in getting the alignment right.