2009 Challenge tech regs

ex_mod_90

Hi All.

After a bit of advice. I am looking at starting to compete next year in a few AWDC events.

Looking at the regs, its recommended that if the vehicle is a soft top then helmets should be worn, which I can perfectly understand. The wording specifically is "Crash helmets are to be used if a solid roof is not fitted." As mentioned in the description I have a rag top 90, truck cab specifically, mainly for the extra leg room afforded by fitting the canvas truck cab against having the traditional tin top.I have already got a cage fitted which is a very close fit to the canvas.

My question is, is it acceptable, to pass scrutineering to mount a removable aluminium skin to the cage roof. I cant see why not, provided the roof is of equal thickness to a standard LR roof. Or is it envisaged that helmets will be become mandatory, and I would be better off going down that route?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Many thanks

Rich.

Hi All.

After a bit of advice. I am looking at starting to compete next year in a few AWDC events.

Looking at the regs, its recommended that if the vehicle is a soft top then helmets should be worn, which I can perfectly understand. The wording specifically is "Crash helmets are to be used if a solid roof is not fitted." As mentioned in the description I have a rag top 90, truck cab specifically, mainly for the extra leg room afforded by fitting the canvas truck cab against having the traditional tin top.I have already got a cage fitted which is a very close fit to the canvas.

My question is, is it acceptable, to pass scrutineering to mount a removable aluminium skin to the cage roof. I cant see why not, provided the roof is of equal thickness to a standard LR roof. Or is it envisaged that helmets will be become mandatory, and I would be better off going down that route?

Many thanks

Rich.

Does this mean you intend to compete wearing a crash helmet but without a roll cage or have I read it wrong?.

After reading your post again, you do have a roll cage, ignore me.

• 2 weeks later...