Picture request.....

I am in the process of fitting a roll cage to my 90CSW.

What I had planned to do was run the b hoop diagonal stays down to the ends of my (strengthened) rear cross member in stead of having them over the chassis rails to try and keep the rear load space useable.

This would mean that the stays would have to go through the wheel boxes. What I am unsure of is if the tube will foul the tyre on bump / articulation.

Anyone done this before or have any pictures that could help? Without cutting loads of holes in the wheel box it is going to be difficult to experiment....

Thanks....

Just cut one really big hole :rolleyes:

If ypu place a stay at the top of the hoop and run it to just infront of the back door can you mark the 'cutting' line on the wheelbox and then make a corosponding one on the otherside to check clearence?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have decided to experiment having been encouraged by Mo's pics on another forum.

Supported the 90 on the chassis, whipped a rear wheel off and springs out and articulated the axle until it was on the bumpstop on one side and full droop the other. I am running Gwyn Lewis's challenge shock mounts and +5" Rough Country shocks from Llama.

Considerately, LR designed in a nice dissimilar metal corrosion hole in the wheel box so I could peek through and see the tyre:

post-121-1231597737_thumb.jpg

I was surprised to find the tread in contact with the wheel box stiffeners. They are only 235 x 85 remoulds but they also catch on the rear of the arch flare.

Next I had a look at how much space I had around the tyre. At first it didn't look too good - view from beneath and behind the rear wheel. The steel in the top of the shot is the bracket for the rear hoop on the inner face of the cross member:

post-121-1231597894_thumb.jpg

But then I had a look from above and things started to look a little rosier:

post-121-1231597878_thumb.jpg

So I took the plunge and put a piece of tube through a hole I had hacked in the whel box to see what was what:

post-121-1231598091_thumb.jpg

Hmm, not looking to clever, so again I had a look from another angle:

post-121-1231598140_thumb.jpg

Whoo hooo! Looks like there is plenty of room :). Especially as the tube is at a shallower angle than it will be in its final position as I couldn't get it to stay where I wanted it to whilst I took the picture. :lol:

Doing the rear stays like this will give me a reasonably usable rear load space and not compromise the integrity of the cage either. I am most pleased :).

post-121-1231598245_thumb.jpg

I think you could get away with bigger tyres but it would be touch and go whether the wheelbox will foul before the stay does. Of course, extended bumpstops would help. Mine are standard.

Excellent Charles

what lengths were the stays in the end?

I haven't cut them to fit yet, but I would work on two lengths of 1.75m to be absolutely sure. You certainly won't get any usable spare from this length.

• 1 month later...

just noticed this post whilst doing a search for something else.

Gwyn's shock mounts take into account that on full articulation the coil spring becomes (coil bound) a long time before the axle hits the bump stop.

the mounts do however allow the axle to hit the bump stop when it is flat or non severe articulation.

you may be cutting out your wheel arches unnecessarily?

does this make sence.

fit the springs and lift a wheel as high as you can with as much weight as possible in the rear of your vehicle and you will see what I mean.