Discovery 2 - Air Suspension Off Road Mode Issue

rjsdavis

Dear all,

I've been searching the forums to see if this has come up before, and can't find anything, so apologies if I've missed this somewhere else.

I recently had the suspension compressor die on my D2. It was diagnosed and replaced. The car had been sitting low and wouldn't rise to full height, and pushing on the O/R button on the dash did absolutely nothing - it would just beep for ages, and the car wouldn't rise. The airbags were checked for leaks and found to be good, one had only been replaced about 6 months earlier.

Therefore, new compressor was fitted, along with a replacement relay that went into the fuse box. I was advised that when the compressor dies, the relay usually goes too....

I picked up the car from the garage, and it was up and level, and was advised by the mechanic that the car pumped straight up again after the restart, so all seemed well. The car was level and seems to be at full height.

However, when I got home, I pulled into the driveway and tried the O/R button - nothing happened. It beeped a couple of times and then went off. I know from when it was working normally that what should happen is that the yellow light on the dash should come on and flash/beep continuosly as the rear end is raising, and then stop beeping with the light staying on permanently whilst it holds the full height. Another press of the button, should set it flashing / beeping again as she lowers back down to normal ride height....

With mine, none of this was happening. It was flashing briefly and then nothing. The rear end was certainly not raising. It went back to the garage the next day and back on the computer. The computer reported that there were no historic or active issues with any part of the system. The compressor could be forced on, BUT the computer could not force on the O/R mode. However, as far as the computer could tell - the diag was that the O/R system (button on the dash) was functioning correctly. Therefore, mechanic is stumped.... It's not something that they've seen before.

Does anyone know why the compressor would work, and pump at the suspension to normal ride height, but what would prevent the O/R button on the dash from preventing the car from rising to O/R height?

Any suggestions for diag/repair would be much appreciated, as we're not sure what to test/change next with the computer reporting everything working a-ok!

hi i had this problem on my disco whilst i was playing around with the nanocom. i think the slabs ecu has been put into transit mode which is what i had done with out realising. when you switch off does it drop right to the bump stops? if so its needs to be taken out of transit mode with either a nanocom or a the garage computer.

hope this helps

jon

hi i had this problem on my disco whilst i was playing around with the nanocom. i think the slabs ecu has been put into transit mode which is what i had done with out realising. when you switch off does it drop right to the bump stops? if so its needs to be taken out of transit mode with either a nanocom or a the garage computer.

hope this helps

jon

Hi Jon

Thanks alot for the suggestion. I don't know if it's in transit mode as you suggest, but I do know that the suspension defo does not drop down onto the bumps stops either overnight or after switch off. She always stays level no matter what.

PS - where do you get one of these nanocoms that people seem to be mentioning from time to time? Are they expensive?

Richard

Bearmach sell the Nanocom, among others

http://web.nanocom.it/default_i.cfm

THanks BogMonster - cheapest I can find this at the moment is £205 - sound like decent value to you? The other thing that occurs to me is that this is LR specific, and I was thinking that if I was going to invest £200-300 in an ECU communicating computer - it would be prudent to look at one that was multi-vehicle.

The Disco is primarily the family car, but I also drive a VW - and was thinking that it would be good to get one that will read and diag these two cars computers as well as most others that we might buy/drive in the future. Any ideas which are the best for multi-car use? Obviously, it would have to be completely compatible with the Disco series, as I expect we will continue to use Disco's (inc. the new Disco 3 when we can afford it!)....

have you tried putting the transfer box in low range then trying the off road switch?

just a thought

jon

Hi Jon

Thanks alot for the suggestion - defo haven't tried that one! Will give it a go in the morning and let all know how it goes....

• 5 weeks later...
have you tried putting the transfer box in low range then trying the off road switch?

just a thought

jon

Hi Jon

This has turned out to be a legendary suggestion! I'd actually forgotten that you made until I pulled into the driveway this afternoon, and happened to glance down at the low range box....

This has now been solved!

I took her into the low-range, drove about 50 yards and pulled into the driveway and then hit the off-road button. Sure enough, she rose up as she should. I drove around for about 5 mins in low-range/off road mode, and then took her back in hi-range after stopping.

I drove off again and hit more than 20 mph - the car automatically lowered out of low-range mode. Once she had lowered fully, I stopped again and again hit the off-road button, and low and behold - she started rising again!

No idea why she needed to be in low-range/off-road mode first to get it to work again - but it did! Thanks Jon - doubt I would have tried that one on my own!

Richard