Inverter Welders

AJL

Not knowing a lot about welders i've always fancied a go I have used a professional 300A mig before with reasonable results however the chap who it belonged to set it up for me and gave me a few pointers.

i was thinking about buying one mig that is untill i started reading about these small inverter TIG welders are they anygood? what sort of price could you get a half decent one for or should i just get a decent MIG unit?

The reason why the inverter appeals is due to its size.

Any comments greatly recieved :D

Not knowing a lot about welders i've always fancied a go I have used a professional 300A mig before with reasonable results however the chap who it belonged to set it up for me and gave me a few pointers.

i was thinking about buying one mig that is untill i started reading about these small inverter TIG welders are they anygood? what sort of price could you get a half decent one for or should i just get a decent MIG unit?

The reason why the inverter appeals is due to its size.

Any comments greatly recieved :D

Just bought a machine mart invertor set, due to the fact that i got it VAT free, therefore 250 quid, have used a Lincoln set, made by BOC I think, they are brilliant,stick welding all day with 3.2mm rods and no problems with overheating, don't know yet with this set, but think it should be good. Problem with Tig welding as opposed to Mig welding is that Tig welding is a lot more difficult to get a decent and neat weld, still with practice it usually comes. Remember of course that you won't be able to Tig weld aluminium with these sets.

Installations crews at work use inverters a lot on stick (same machine as tig, just different torches), from our experience, they work pretty hard.

We have found a major flaw with them though, that is they like to be wrapped in cotton wool when being moved, every one we have had to repair has usually been down to damage during transit in the vans.

The lads that use them love em.

Not sure that they would be most suitable for general landy work though, personally I would go for MIG just for its ease and ability to adapt from job to job.

The little solid state TIG or MMA welders are very good in general - however - the big advantage of a decent mig welder with a big transformer is they are almost indestructable, will survive a lot of abuse including getting wet (although not reccomended) and even if you do break it, it's easy & cheap to fix.

If you fancy welding while perhaps climbing a tree ;) or taking it on holiday with you one of the little SS units is just the thing - but personally, I'd rather have one with a transformer (and I'm pretty techy when it comes to electrickery)

MMA (stick) and TIG welding are a lot harder than MIG to get right.

If you are just starting out, you will get more use and enjoyment out of a MIG. Particularly if you are welding cars & stuff - you don't need anything other than a MIG. Spend the same kind of money as you would on an inverter and you wont go far wrong (and buy an auto-darkening helmet too - it makes life so much easier!). You don't need 300A - something closer to 200 will be plenty.

Bottom line: Buy a MIG.

Si