EAS LEAD

caprice 4.6

:( Hi all i cannot get my eas lead to work on my laptop i need a usb to serial adaptor i have bought 2 but they dont seem to work is there a special one i need. tried a cheap one and a expensive one just dont seem to work. the OBD2 lead to serial port works fine on my brothers computor his has a serial port so dosent need the adaptor.Any ideas or has anyone else had this.

Thanks Dave

Not an IT person at all,but one of the laptops that has all my LPG software on has no serial port so I had to buy a USB- serial adaptor.This came with a CD and has worked perfectly for several years with several different things connected,think it may have been a Belkin one.

Hi yes sorry 4.6 38As the soft ware is the downloadable one devised by storey wilson.

Hmmm, interesting to see what response you get here, both in terms of a 38A EAS system, and the software. I suspect you will get more response from the RangeRovers.net forum, even if some of the advice is American! Oops :-)

I bought a Rovacom Light some time ago (when they were cutting edge!) and my associated PCs have always had serial ports.

I can't help with anything other than the obvious one of check closely that your OBDII socket terminals aren't corroded. Best to pop the socket out and check the reverse side as well.

Are you absolutely certain it's a USB to Serial problem?

I'm not IT literate enough to confidently devise one, but can you find a test that proves whether or not the adapter works, irrespective of what is on the end?

I'm thinking create a loop termination to go in the serial socket, then send data out and see it coming back?

Will Hyperterminal do this? (It is a standard programme on Windows PCs, up to and including XP, I don't know about Vista).

Phrase the question like that (self test required for USB to Serial adapter), and you might get a better response rate, both here and from Storey, either direct or via the RR.net forum; or even on 'any' PC forum.

The people on the Honest John car site seem to cover a lot of Computing ground; they have a special thread for Computing questions, now on Volume 171, http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ind...f=2&t=70440

Good Luck.

:( Hi all i cannot get my eas lead to work on my laptop i need a usb to serial adaptor i have bought 2 but they dont seem to work is there a special one i need. tried a cheap one and a expensive one just dont seem to work. the OBD2 lead to serial port works fine on my brothers computor his has a serial port so dosent need the adaptor.Any ideas or has anyone else had this.

Thanks Dave

hi mate had same problem yesterday usb to serial adapter dont work.the tech wizz at maplins told me that.i stripped my adapter down and found one of the cables required soldering.the car wasnt reading the computer. hope this helps

USb to serial converters are fecking awful things that only ever work when they feel like it! Suggest aquiring another PC that has a proper serial port!

When I sorted the EAS out on my classic I just shoved the desktop Pc on the passenegr seat!

Jon

Yes its looking like i will have to use the desktop option.

I have seen seariel port adaptors that fit in the card slot might try one of these if i can get one cheap enough.Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi!!

Have the same problem.

Have chainged everything in the air system...but cant reset it. Got cable and software and bought serial port to usb cable....but doenst work!!!

A friend tell me that the information is differet the one on the serial port that on the usb....has to be configured!!!

Have to call him see if he comes round. When that hapens I´ll tell something

Adal

This adaptor problem is well known in the Megasquirt community and it does not seem to matter if you go cheap or expensive.

This one is claimed to work for MS but the notes do say that you need to be connected to the net before you use it for the first time so that it can go find drivers if the right ones are not on your machine.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/usb-ser...atune-p-67.html

Steve