V8 problems

jcwcooper

Over the last few days ive been helping my freind fit a new V8 his RRC. The old engine was using carbs and the new engine was EFi. We took the inlet manifold off and plonked the carbs on then popped the engine in. The new engine wasnt herd running but we were assured that it worked and it turned over fine by hand and genrally looks in good nick.

When we turned it over it turned over for about 10secs, and then went clonk and stopped. We can turn it back anti-clockwise a few turns and then back clockwise a few turns.......But it locks up both ways. Any Ideas why?

we've tryed removing the starter thinking maybe that had jammed but no luck. It turned over before we put it in, We have used the existing flywheel and rocker covers starter water pump alternator ect.

any help would be great

cheers

Dave.

Timing is done via a chain so can't really jump unless the timing is totally totally shot, if it was bad enough for that to happen then the rest of the engine would probably need a look anyway.

I'd go with Fridge- my brother (whos screen name shall remain secret) once managed to drop a washer into his 2.25 without noticing. That made a bit of a mess. On the v8 forum there are stories of all kinds of things ending up in v8's. Usually the engine keeps running though.

Does it turn over without the plugs? That will see if there is some kind of fluid causing it to hydraulic. If still no joy i'd take the rocker assemblies off and see if you have any bent pushrods, remember to keep them in the correct order for refitting.

Another thought- could something jamming the oilpump gears stop the engine turning? I guess it could... If this was the case then removing the dizzy should allow the engine to turn as the oil pump gears are then not being driven. I would try to avoid taking dizzy out if you can as getting it back in the right place so that you aren't a tooth out can be a pigdog sometimes.

A grownup will correct me shortly. :)

Have you tried turning it over with the clutch depressed to confirm it is not a gearbox issue?

It is the 'few turns' statement that has me confused as a hydraulic lock, something in a cylinder or a stuck valve would all result in only about 90% of a full rotation.

Steve

all sorted now, when we bought the engine it had no exhaust manifolds and looks like whilst it had been sat about someone decided to stick a bolt in there, doesnt look like any of the bolts we had lying about it was only small.......Hasnt done much damage either.

cheers

Dave.