swivel hub lubrication

Ibex94

I don't particularly like the idea of using swivel grease, in 12 years of 90 ownership I've never had a problem with leaking seals. I'm also concerned about getting grease out thats emulsified in the housing without having to strip the hub down and, having just stripped my replacement axle down, out of a late vehicle, and found the diff casing full of a blend of ep90 and lithium type grease I need some convincing that this is the right way to go. Please let me have your experience and views.

Ta

Rob

I'm still on EP90. Have changed one seal in 13 years of ownership.

The downside to grease is water contamination - if water gets in, you have to strip the whole thing to get rid of emulsified grease. So if you do a lot of wading, stick to oil.

Of course the later swivels only have a filler, no drain or level plug, so if you want to use oil you have to measure out 350cc. The oil can be drained by either undoing the seal bolts or removing a swivel bolt. I would do the second to avoid disturbing the seal.

usually people put grease in because their oil leaks out. instead of fixing the problem in hand, replace the seals and use oil. If oil can get out then water can get in!

spend alittle more and save in the long run

just my opinion.