Central Locking Gremlin

bishbosh

I had this problem on a previous Rangie when I was in Canada and managed to fix it then. Only problem is I can't remember how I did it! :blink:;)

When I blip the remote for the central locking the locks unlock and then immediately lock again. I presume it is the mechanism that is gunged up or misaligned (I've been doing some panel beating recently! :o:o ) which stops it reaching the full extent of unlock and so locks itself again.

Can anyone confirm this? Is it a case of whipping the door card out and attacking within with WD40?

Sounds like an actuator sticking to me. I had a similar experience when I accidently locked the car whilst working inside it. I then tried to unlock it but it immediately relocked again. I then realised that my elbow was holding down the locking button on the door. :rolleyes:

HTH

Ivan

Edited to correct my poor spelling. Just noticed I'm not a newbie anymore :)

If it is the actuator sticking then it should be the drivers side. I seem to recal from fitting an alarm a long time ago that the drivers side is the only one with a switch on it. :rolleyes:

Pre 90 MY had actuator on driver door only but from 90MY> actuators were fitted to both front doors I believe.

Sorry Deano maybe not very well worded.

I think, certainly on the CSK, the passengers side actuator does not have a switch on it i.e. if you try locking with the key or push the inside button on the pass. side the central locking does not operate because there is no switch.

I would probably never have noticed but I needed to fit a same type switch to both doors so that the alarm had feed back.

• 3 months later...
Fixed it ... attacked everything with WD40 ... and all is now well!

1) Which bits did you spray?

2) Do you need to do both front doors? (both of mine work the c/l)

'H' Plate Classic 3.9, incase that makes a difference!

Cheers

Dunc

1) Which bits did you spray?

2) Do you need to do both front doors? (both of mine work the c/l)

'H' Plate Classic 3.9, incase that makes a difference!

Cheers

Dunc

It was as complicated as forcing the little tube on the WD40 can down past the locking button on the door and letting loose with the WD!

Don't go too crazy or you'll be cleaning WD40 off the window glass for ever...... :blink:

Edited by bishbosh