My 90 is stuck

After trying to move the 90 this morning after a good day's offroading yesterday, it's refusing to budge. It starts just fine, and I can select gears, I've tried diff lock etc, but when putting down the hand brake, it feels like it's still on as that's the type of movement the engine straining against it gets. I think I can feel through the lever handle that the cable isn't fully releasing. Could this be due to a build up of mud in the drum that's stopping the shoes from releasing as it's now frozen, or more likely to be the cable itself? I don't think UJs etc are the issue, though they will be getting a good load of grease. Is there anything I can try without taking the handbrake apart that could work first? I am not quite confident enough to start mucking around with that sort of thing.

Oh how attractive X Brakes look right now!

any thoughts welcome.

The mechanism is seized inside the brake. It uses a plunger that, as it is pulled out of the drum, expands the brake shoes and, after wading in mud, this tends to seize up.

You can normally release them by using a pry bar or big screwdriver to push the mechanism back, basically give the handbrake cable a hand as it can't exert much force at all when taking the brake off. Once released you really need to strip the mechanism, clean and oil it... or just take it off and replace it with an x-brake.

Running an auto and, hence, rarely using the transmission brake, I used to have to do this on a regular basis and following scrutineering regularly had to crawl underneath to lever the mechanism back off as scrutineering was the only time the brake got used !

Sam,

Got a rubber mallet or something similar?

Grovel underneath and use it all the way around the handbrake drum - this "should!" free off the shoes. The advice you've been given about assisting the mechanism is right too. The drum will be full of silt etc which will have set (and probably frozen) now.

if it's any consolation, I was working on a 90 yesterday - took me over an hour to get the drum off to clean it out....

Matt

I had to do this on my old Manta on several occasions. As far as I'm aware, about the only risk is ripping the linings off the clutch plate or the brake drum. A whack on the drum sorted my 90 out when this happened though. The effect should be the same of course - movement ;)