Engine mounts

rusty_wingnut

followin on froma previous discussion Re, QTs mounts, I made some mounts for a V8 usin a larger dia radius arm bush in the hope these would still have the same strength as QTs but allowing for more deflection and hence less vibrations.

Please excuse the fab, you guys are pro's :lol:

15112008018.jpg

15112008016.jpg

15112008017.jpg

They are to restrain a friends 4.2, he's yet to try them.

Snap!

I did these earlier in the week. Also thought the small bush (rear trailing arm type) was probably too stiff. Wasn't really worried about it feeling harsh but more the fact that things that vibrate a lot tend to have lots of stuff that comes loose and brackets that crack. So I went for two, slightly modified, A frame bush's either side.

post-1274-1231537919_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1231537935_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1231538082_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1231538117_thumb.jpg

Hope to get the rear chassis "ears" for either mount tacked on tomorrow after work then pull the motor back out and weld it up, along with some load spreading on the chassis. Then a pressure wash (as long as the washer has thawed out :angry: ) and a splash of paint.

BTW, Also for a 4.2!

I'm using QT mounts on mine, haven't noticed any additional vibration/noise over the standard mounts, maybe my engine runs smoother or something.

Having seen Steve's mounts though, maybe the next time someone asks me about LS1/Defender mounts, that looks to be a much simpler way of making a mount for the engine side and then building custom chassis "ears".to suit. Looks like it'll make the whole process a lot simpler as you can easily adjust the height and distance from the chassis based on where you drill the hole.

Are you going to put a plate between the two ears once they are welded to the chassis ?

I'm using QT mounts on mine, haven't noticed any additional vibration/noise over the standard mounts, maybe my engine runs smoother or something.

Having seen Steve's mounts though, maybe the next time someone asks me about LS1/Defender mounts, that looks to be a much simpler way of making a mount for the engine side and then building custom chassis "ears".to suit. Looks like it'll make the whole process a lot simpler as you can easily adjust the height and distance from the chassis based on where you drill the hole.

Are you going to put a plate between the two ears once they are welded to the chassis ?

Yes Dave, Going to box between the ears with some 3mm plate to give a bit of strength and also stop them being a mud trap. Then tapper a piece of box out for a few inch's infront of them along the chassis. Will post some pics when its done, Hopefully toight if all goes well.

BTW, An A frame polly/superpro bush fits perfectly inside a piece of Blue band roll cage tubing (48mmx3.2mm)

cheers lads I didn't expect the kind comments. The tube was turned from solid billet to match each bush with a press fit. Took around 2hrs to make each tube. Then I strategically cut the mounts for a standard V8 and made the 6mm thick U pieces. I hope it works, the chap hasn't installed them yet :roll:

Snap!

I did these earlier in the week. Also thought the small bush (rear trailing arm type) was probably too stiff. Wasn't really worried about it feeling harsh but more the fact that things that vibrate a lot tend to have lots of stuff that comes loose and brackets that crack. So I went for two, slightly modified, A frame bush's either side.

post-1274-1231537919_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1231537935_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1231538082_thumb.jpg

post-1274-1231538117_thumb.jpg

Hope to get the rear chassis "ears" for either mount tacked on tomorrow after work then pull the motor back out and weld it up, along with some load spreading on the chassis. Then a pressure wash (as long as the washer has thawed out :angry: ) and a splash of paint.

BTW, Also for a 4.2!

Excellent Steve! please let me know how they fair, as my mate is unconvinced!

Well they are finished and painted now but it will be a few weeks until the truck is back together for a test drive as there is a huge mountain of work to get through.

Here the only pics I have finished and they are not great as I only had my phone.

V8fitting3004.jpg

V8fitting3009.jpg

Pretty much a copy of Simon Bucks 110 just with a larger bush and not as tidy!

I'll let you know as soon as its up and running.