Fuel Cap breather

reads90

Have a slight problem with the new 110

The 110 has the standard tank in the rear and a 70 ltr tank under the driver seat. This tank under the drivers seat has its own sender unit , and works on a switch you which you change over in the cab. It is filled by removing the seat (bit like filling uo a lightweight)

Now while the truck was sat at the train station the this week it started leaking diesel . But when my wife got home with it i could see the fuel had leaked but was no longer leaking, so could not trace the sorce. Both of the two tanks were full

I finally caught it leaking at the middle of the day by going to the train station and see it leaking from the filler of the under seat tank. Now i am lead to belive that diesel does not expand as mush as petrol. As as the amount that came out and the fact that the front tank is always full to the brim. The fuel is coming from the back tank.

My wife leaves the car at the station at 7am but then the temp is only 24 c so not too warm and it is not leaking . But by midday the temp is more like 38c and god knows what the temp in the tank is and it is leaking then . So what i am wondering is that the pressure is building up in the rear tank and forcing fuel into the front tank to releive the pressure and hence the leak. But what i belive is causing this is the fuel cap . Is the fuel cap surposed to release pressure as the fuel tank breather just goes from the tank and back in at the top of the fille neck. This car also has the Tube in the filler neck. You know the one for making it easyer to fill up with a jerry can . (dom't know if this is causing a problem with breather). Is there a way of clearing the breahter in the fuel cap

I'm clutching at straws with this but making assumptions that the front tank filler neck is higher than the rear tank, but lower than the highest point that fuel is pumped on the engine you may have a situation during running where fuel is pumped from the rear into the front tank and then up to the engine. Once the engine is stopped fuel may be 'levelling off' from gravity (higher engine versus lower tank) and spilling out of the filler?

I'm clutching at straws with this but making assumptions that the front tank filler neck is higher than the rear tank, but lower than the highest point that fuel is pumped on the engine you may have a situation during running where fuel is pumped from the rear into the front tank and then up to the engine. Once the engine is stopped fuel may be 'levelling off' from gravity (higher engine versus lower tank) and spilling out of the filler?

They both have there own fuel lines and return lines to and from the engine.

So wqhen useing the rear tank the fuel goes straight from the rear tank to the engine and the same with the front tank. But there is a solinade that contects them all together and makes it all work. The compnay that made the front tank, says if the car was running then this all would have been plumbed up wrong , but as it is doing it when the engine is not running then they are stumped

next time you drive to the station , as soon as you've parked, switch off, run round tto the filler cap. and open it and listen, If there is a sssssssspppppp!! then its probably a vacuum, if it goes whoopplp and you see fuel dissappearing back down the inside of the filler neck, then its presssurised. The filler extension pipe will not affect if. I had the latter, so took the cap apart, and with a tiny drill, drilled thro' one of the tiny ball valves in the allu casting, OK now. stumpy ;)