Dead 200tdi

While driving yesterday the oil light started coming on at low revs, but went off with a little throttle. When I got it home it was making some nasty sounds. Sounded like a big end had gone. This morning it was going into the garage and I thought it would be okay to drive there gently if it was only the big end.

Half way to the garage (not far away) it started making some horrible sounds that I can't really describe then died with a final scraping sound that sounded like metal on metal. I phoned the the LR guy and he said he'd come and tow me and while I was waiting I decided to try to turn it over it make sure it wasn't seized. It turned over and started up but then died instantly.

I'm now thinking its the timing belt adjuster. When it died I thought the belt had snapped but then thought that it wouldn't even start at all if the belt had gone completely.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Cheers.

Its sitting at a local LR independent garage at the moment but I'm thinking of bringing it back here to do it myself. At the cost of £40/hour I think i'd rather spend more time on it and save the money.

Anything else that I should look out for?

while the pushrods are out have a look down their tubes to see if the cam followers are ok, if any damage seen, it's a cylinder head off to replace them & the lift pump & cover plates on the engines right side & 4 small bolts the secure them in place.

The valves are bent, 3 of the pushrods are bent and all the rocker arms are fine. Getting the pully off the cam belt cover is being a pig but thats the result of age.

Rather than rebuilding the head (i'm not doing that) which will be costly does anyone know a good source for a new one. Also will a 300 head fit straight on?

Pretty sure its a cam belt or the adjuster now but haven't got to it yet.

I was told they are but on closer inspection they are not, which is what I was expecting anyhow. Its not the belt, after the cover came off the belt was still attached but the cam shaft has broken.

Was going to look into a new engine but its being stripped to see if its worth repairing.

At the minimum you would need new cam bearings and cam. It must have taken some force to snap the cam - I wonder what caused it.

A new camshaft from Craddocks is only £45 + VAT + delivery, so not the end of the world. Reaming the cam bearings (bare engine block) and your time will be the worst.

Les.

I've got a local LR engineer here who will do it. Les, if you were doing it how long would you quote for it? Thanks for all your help so far.

oil relief valve! mothers 300 did the exact and made the exact noises. me and the old chap pulled the head off looked the pistons. no damage. pulled the sump off and oil releif valve and it was stuck.. the crank was worn beyond regrinding and the shells got hot so that means a loacking of oil circualtion.

we changed the shells but after 30 mile the noises come back.

its only a suggestion it mau not be that but its a though lol

cheers then all the best!