Spray Painting - some advice and suggestions please

Hybrid_From_Hell

:unsure:

Its been a long time since I sprayed :lol:

I have used cellulose paints in the distant past, but thats about it,

a mate of a mate sprayed the old hybrid, but I'm not even sure what that paint was

what I do know was he took a break to have a fag and the contents of the gun went to jelly :lol:

Anyways, me questions are as folows :

Re paint choice,

I understand now we have

cellulose,

2 pack (maybe no longer vailable)

Synthetic and

Water based.

I was warned to stay away from water based :lol:, so was going to use synthetic - thoughts please ?

On the basis I use Synthetic paint, .........

I have been given a spray gun with a 1.8 nib, ....that seems a bit big ? - or not ?

I also have to spray quite a lot,

so do I go for an 'airfed mask' and regulator system (expensive(ish) or

can I use safely a 2 cannister mask with filters in them,

and if so which ones ? ..........(Need 1 - I can't hold me breath that long :lol:)

The sealer at the roof gutter isn't to clever, so will replace with body sealer, was planning just

to primer this, let go off well, then spray the entire roof - this OK ?

With regards to the roof - On the truck cab at the mo its white,

and in reasonable nick, no longer shiney, more like a "Bloomed" finish, so,

do I flat and paint over or do I need a primer coat / bond type coat before the top coat ?

If spray directly onto it, then flat down with what grade of wet and dry ?

and lastly how many coats of synthetic, and how long between coats ?

Thanks

There may be more Qs yet

Nige

Synthetic is ok ,I use it to spray plant and lorry bodies , I tend to "Hot Pot" it on , Get the paint nice and hot in front of the fire , no thinners as it gets to the right viscousity when its hot , then spray it onto whatever , the paint goes off nice and quick and a glassy gloss finish from the gun .

Only thing is it takes a few weeks to cure fully and stays soft for a while , Two pack is by far more superior for going nice and hard .

:unsure:

Its been a long time since I sprayed :lol:

I have used cellulose paints in the distant past, but thats about it,

a mate of a mate sprayed the old hybrid, but I'm not even sure what that paint was

what I do know was he took a break to have a fag and the contents of the gun went to jelly :lol:

Anyways, me questions are as folows :

Re paint choice,

I understand now we have

cellulose,

Synthetic and

Water based.

I was warned to stay away from water based :lol:, so was going to use synthetic - thoughts please ?

On the basis I use Synthetic paint, .........

I have been given a spray gun with a 1.8 nib, ....that seems a bit big ? - or not ?

I also have to spray quite a lot,

so do I go for an 'airfed mask' and regulator system (expensive(ish) or

can I use safely a 2 cannister mask with filters in them,

and if so which ones ? ..........(Need 1 - I can't hold me breath that long :lol:)

The sealer at the roof gutter isn't to clever, so will replace with body sealer, was planning just

to primer this, let go off well, then spray the entire roof - this OK ?

With regards to the roof - On the truck cab at the mo its white,

and in reasonable nick, no longer shiney, more like a "Bloomed" finish, so,

do I flat and paint over or do I need a primer coat / bond type coat before the top coat ?

If spray directly onto it, then flat down with what grade of wet and dry ?

and lastly how many coats of synthetic, and how long between coats ?

Thanks

There may be more Qs yet

Nige

i would have thought that when your mate took a fag break, if the gun cotents went to jelly, it is likely to have been good ol dont bother rubbing down it will self level two pack...

as for your needs if it was you shouldnt have any problems paint over it with nothing more than a decent rub down just to key the new paint, i would use the synthetic type paint, easy to use and clean up, as for the drying time between coats, well really depends on the temperature, its similar to spraying with cellulose, but take a week or so to fully cure.

airfed mask is always the best but you will be fine with the normal filter type ones, just dont be tight and wait for the element to stop letting air through, change it regulary or you will choke...haha

and we need pictures...

heres one i did

post-1052-1232553793_thumb.jpg

cellulose,

Synthetic and

Water based.

I was warned to stay away from water based , so was going to use synthetic - thoughts please ?

i use to work for a spray repaire shop and a very good mate still does so this is what i would do.

stay well away from water base paints.

I do know was he took a break to have a fag and the contents of the gun went to jelly

this is 2 pack i.e you have a base coat which is the colour then a clear coat that goes on as the finial coat this is what turned to jelly.

you can still get this sort of paint, however you need heat make the paint go off and good ventaliation.

i would use tecalod paint as all you will need to do is to key up the panels and then paint on top. you can spray it on which correats alot of overspray. i used a small roller and brush to do my 90 and pollished it to get rid of any dust in the paint. it looked like glass after i finished. for the best results for spraying or with a roller but the paint in a hot water bath before you start. this helps the paint flow and you are left with no brush marks and an overall nicer finish.

if you use a roller and brush then you do not need a mask, if spraying then it is a very good idea. any cood car paint supplier will have them, just a mask with filters will be good enough.

good preperation is the key. take your time to get rid of an dirt and make sure all surfaces are nice and smooth as it will show up 10 x on the finish product.

So,

IF I go the twin filter route,

which of these 2 masks, and which filters organic or inorganic FFS :( ???

Masks :

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...sks-respirators

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...sks-respirators

Filters :

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...k2-a1-cartridge

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...k2-b1-cartridge

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...s/bms4410000901

Or anywhere Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire areas I can ring / walk in and buy ?

Nige

for ease of use ,use solid colour 2 pack easy to paint gives a good finish but needs a bit of heat, doesnt take along time to go off and does so faster with additives ( e.g rocket) also a comercial 2 pack gives a harder finish (2 coats)but may look slightly more orange peely (if your very piccy).

most masks are pretty good in well ventilated areas as long as they contain a charcoal filter you would be best airfed but alot for one job plus you will need a good compressor for gun and mask.

how long was the fag break? :blink:

as for the roof reseal and paint the seal in etch primer ,should be ok just flatting of the paint (500 dry 800 wet/dry ) depending on what you are painting on to, if its 2pack you will be fine. and give it a good panel wipe before painting.

I would use synthetic 'coach' enamel paint. Its old fashioned technology but easy to use and a relatively safe paint to use. Smells and looks just like Deluxe gloss paint.

1 litre will paint 3 land rovers. The downside is that you cannot wet and dry it after painting and then expect a good finish, or mop it to take out any orange peel etc. like you can with 2 pack paints and as mentioned above can take many weeks to fully cure if temperature and humidity are low/high respectively. This means any cok ups will have to wait a few days before flatting back due to the skin it forms.

It covers exceptionally well hence why 1 litre covers so well. Thinners to clean the gun and stays ready to use for ages.

If it runs or isn't shiny enough flat it back then repaint over the top. For touch up brush finish is surprisingly good as it flats really well after applying - something to consider as and when it gets a few knocks and bruises as no need to break out the gun for spot repairs etc.