Engine advice

stuntman

Hello one and all.

I'm just after a little advice really.

I have 2 engines to decide between, both 2.25 litres,

Can some one just help me with which would be most useable everyday, ie mpg, driveability etc.

Also if it is the petrol is it work fitting a webber carb kit to it?

Also, is it worth fitting a 2.5 petrol defender engine with twin carb webber? or the 2.5d or 2.5td, I am considering a 200 tdi but cost may be prohibitive as this is a cheap project.

Thanks in advance

Andi

2.25 diesel is a bad idea unless you like doing ~50mph max.

2.25 petrol, if it's a good one, would be fine.

2.5 petrol would gain you a bit of power & torque but MPG is likely to be marginal

2.5 diesel is a strong lump but not going to win drag races

2.5 TD are not universally loved, they're a bit fragile if not cared for.

The 200TDi would probably give good power & the best MPG for a daily driver

A V8 would give best power and similar MPG to the petrol lumps if it's EFI, and you'd get there much quicker with a silly grin :lol:

Fancy carbs only ever seem to bring new problems, if you want to be different you could MicroSquirt a 4-pot petrol lump as I'm sure there's a lot of potential to be unlocked.

Guest otchie1
Why a 200Di? Why remove the turbocharger? You're turning the engine into something not much more than a 2.5 NA.... :huh:

the usual wisdom was to avoid stressing the rest of the drive train

Thats what the acceralor pedal is for , the turbo will give you what power you decide, it can also result in better fuel economy. Top is direct , and the transmission will handle quite a lot of power if driven in a sympathetic manner . 200tdi is way to go . JMHO

Taking the turbo off a 200TDi seems like the daftest idea ever - why not just sell it to someone for good money and find a cheap 2.5D that someone's throwing away? The Series drivetrain is not very strong but they handle V8's OK driven with a bit of care so I can't see how the awesome tarmac-shredding power of a 200TDi is going to bother it :huh:

Taking the turbo off a 200TDi seems like the daftest idea ever - why not just sell it to someone for good money and find a cheap 2.5D that someone's throwing away? The Series drivetrain is not very strong but they handle V8's OK driven with a bit of care so I can't see how the awesome tarmac-shredding power of a 200TDi is going to bother it :huh:

What about the 200 tdi and gearbox!

What about the 200 tdi and gearbox!

If you mean use the LT77 off the back of the 200TDi then you're in to either an expensive adapter plate to mate it to the Series box, or fitting an LT230 which in an 88" is a squeeze, and the gearing will be out by ~30%. If it's from a Disco or RR then the bellhousing is long and the gearstick will be in the centre seatbox.