steering guard or no guard??

right have a steering guard on mine at the mo and as far as i can tell its doing next to nothing other than collecting mud when dragging out backwards an restricting the axle as the front drag link contacts it when theres some move ment

so do i get rid of it completely as i have super sumo bars on and dont plan on any super fast impacts with hard to move objects, and carry spare ball joints anyway

get rid of this to a mate who wants it and find a different make one (any surgestions welcome?)

or is there any other way about it??

dave

right have a steering guard on mine at the mo and as far as i can tell its doing next to nothing other than collecting mud when dragging out backwards an restricting the axle as the front drag link contacts it when theres some move ment

so do i get rid of it completely as i have super sumo bars on and dont plan on any super fast impacts with hard to move objects, and carry spare ball joints anyway

get rid of this to a mate who wants it and find a different make one (any surgestions welcome?)

or is there any other way about it??

dave

you can get those tubular ones that arnt supposed to collect mud, although i think that they are specially fabricated.

Ive had loads of Land Rovers and would not have a steering guard - as you say they act like a plough in a rear end recovery and Ive also found they lift the front in deep mud losing front wheel grip - pointless IMHO - although I suppose they have pavement appeal in pose value..............sell it - I think the sumos are adequate.......read the ground ahead and fit a diffguard.

Paul

wat about the original landrover tubular one, cheap as chips, better than nothing as a stump will hit it first, doesn't cause a problem when being dragged out backwards either.

I have one of these and find it works very well, i've been stuck and pulled out without any problems, also i've still got standard steering rods and never bent them.

Image056.jpg

how were they bent lansalot?? mine arent they standard/branded summo bars as me mate has some which weight slightly less and are not as thicker tubing also OD is not as big

i was woundering about making/strengthening a standard steering guard so think that looks like the plan so far :)

dave

The track rod was bad enough to need straightened. Ian Sykes at 4allfours.co.uk very kindly did this for me as I had bought it from him, fitted it Saturday and bent it Sunday. Track rod was bent on a buried tree-stump (the joys of Brahan Estate).

The drag link also has a slight kink in it which I thought wouldn't matter much - until went to replace the steering damper that got ripped off in the same incident and found it wouldn't locate properly. Tree stump again.

Can recommend http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page29.html for the track rod protection - nothing will touch it now :)

Think I'll go for the tubular guard for drag link protection (thanks Roachy), for reasons as above.

Cheers