Using towbar to power camping lights

Stretchie_

Wondering if anyone can help me.

I just bought a new tent, quite a sizeable one 6.7m x 3m and want to light it when it gets dark.

I don’t want to go down the route of rechargeable lanterns and other things, what I’d LIKE to do is treat it a bit like my mum and dad’s static caravan. Get 2 – 4 small 8w 12v flourescent lights and wire them up so that I can plug them into the towbar electrics on my 98 Disco 300TDi.

I maybe able to turn a screw driver and take control of a Stanley knife but I don’t know about electrics. So far I have managed to find out that it could be a 12n or a 12s socket.. Which doesn’t help me in my limited capacity as it’s the same plug but the wiring is different.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi,

I recently checked my towbar electrics using a multimeter on the volt setting and ground each pin to check it was working.

I found diagrams of the two sockets on google.

Trailer Sockets

I'm no expert on the subject of electronics but from the diagram it does show a continuouse 12 supply on the 'S' type which you need for a caravan.

Hope this helps.

Steve

I wouldn't even think about that unlees I had a second battery. The flourescent lights take an awful lot of power from a battery.

I would look for LED's of some description. They take virtually no power at all.

I have a 12S socket on the back of my Defender. I still prefer the cig lighter socket.

I made these. Good light....Takes no power from the battery.

Also on here. There's a thread on LED lights. You will find more information there.

My three half crowns worth

mike

Using my limited knowledge, if you've only got one socket, you won't be able to do it. If you've only got one socket, then it's designed for the lights on your trailer or similar. To tap power off of this you would need to leave some sort of lights on in the car. (Lights/Fog/Reverse etc...) This would take out your battery quicker than any tent lighting would.

If on the other hand you have 2 sockets by your tow ball, then you can do it. The one you don't plug your trailer lights into will have constant power running to it. At worst there might be a switch in the back to turn it on and off but you wont need to leave any of the car electrics on to use it. Not even the ignition.

As far as power consumption goes, def find some suitable LED lights. But to be perfectly honest, decent LED lights use SO little power C or D cell batteries will last days with no worries about screwing with the wiring.

Please, if anyone knows better, correct me. I have only the basic understanding of trailer and caravan wiring.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys, my tuppence worth.

Don't use flur's they are a battery killer. They work well in caravans because they are usuall connected to the mains, albeit through a step down transformer. Go for LED's either prpose made or by getting a reversing light and putting in a LED bulb.

Wiring options, as previously mentioned, the road light socket (12N) usually black is no use, you really need the 12S which is white or grey. I can post a wirling diagram to do it properly (split charge, power for fridge, reversing lights etc) if you want but given all you are trying to do is power a couple of lamps then it seems a lot os hassle. If the vehicle is fitted with one, then you are looking at the green wire (perm live) pin 4 and the earth which is white.

Simplest way would be to go to Halfords or similar and pick up an extention lead and run of cig lighter sock.

Just be wary of killing battery, I personally would go for a second battery.

Cheers

I forgot to update. I ordered a 12s socket and plug and 2x 12v 8watt flour lights.

We have a set up like this at mum and dads caravan (not a posh site with electrickery) and it's a 12(whatever) plug on crocodile clips straight to the battery, then plug the socket from the caravan into it under the bonnet can run those lights all night and the car starts in the morning.

Anyway, I had a spare 12v motorbike battery lying around so I connected my trickle charger to it as it has a meter on to show has charged or discharged it is(but didn't plug it in) then clipped both lights to it. Six hours later still got the lights on and the battery has not run down at all..

I'll just take the bike battery and have that in the tent, then I don't have to mess arounf with plugging it into the car in anyway.

Still looking forward to having a second battery set up later in the year.

Cheers