OT: punching number/letters in a cast iron block

02GF74

I am looking to punching some numbers and letters in a cast iron block, ford cross flow, but been told the material is too hard for the punches -(that does surprise me so how did Ford do it?)

Can it be done or do I need to figure out a way to dremel the letters/numbers onto the block + so suggestions to do them neatly by hand or some template?

Can it be done or do I need to figure out a way to dremel the letters/numbers onto the block + so suggestions to do them neatly by hand or some template?

Get the whole block as hot as you can, over 250 C anyway and it should be OK, that's how we used to do it. Don't try doing it on a rough cast surface, asking for trouble, grind a flat bit. Don't be tempted to try local heating, you have been warned :(

Failing that or running scared now, you can still get pantograph thingy's from art stores, fit the Dremel on one end and either follow a larger stencil or drawing if your hand is steady. Use a pencil instead of the Dremel till you get the scale right. Don't laugh, it does work. You might even feel like making your own pantograph :ph34r:

Failing that or running scared now, you can still get pantograph thingy's from art stores, fit the Dremel on one end and either follow a larger stencil or drawing if your hand is steady. Use a pencil instead of the Dremel till you get the scale right. Don't laugh, it does work. You might even feel like making your own pantograph :ph34r:

My dad has a sort of giant pantograph for his router - uses it to cut designs into the furniture he makes. Bit of a knack to using it but it's not that hard, I would have thought a mini one with a dremel would if anything be easier.

Niall; interesting.

pantograph - believe or not, I did consider that but it may be too awkward since two exhaust pipes are in the way (engine is fitted).

current thinking now that stamps are not viable is to make a small steel template - dunno how) with the letter/numbers cut in it to use as a guide, print the numbers and a steady hand or chemical etching.