Husky superwinch

ste clark

i just bought a superwinch husky off ebay from someone a 3 hour drive away..

cant get it to work now!! not sure if its just me being a spaz or not though so here goes!

gallery_8011_754_3557.jpg

i thought just connect these two wires to jump leads and it will work... but no!

gallery_8011_754_55495.jpg

the 3 wires to the remote control had been yanked off but they are labeled so easy enough to reconnect... still not working though!!

gallery_8011_754_29951.jpg

3 fat black cables go to winch.. 3 skinny cables with white covers to remote.. i thought big red one to battery live and little skinny black one with eye terminal to earth... what am i doing wrong chaps??

and pics of the winch if it helps!!

gallery_8011_754_39517.jpg

gallery_8011_754_22300.jpg

yes it is in my living room and yes the missus does mind!! please help so i can get it working and outside onto my lanny!!!

its red....

think i tried this info nothing happened...

connected a lead between A & f1 and a positive to f2 and nothing

connected lead between A & f2 and positive to f1 and nothing.....

maybe the can type soleniods are duff, they do stick & it is possible to prise the body open to clean up the internal parts.

what... prise the solenoids apart?? do they open like boot polish tins?? (only thing i could think of with a ridge at the top)!

it didnt make any clicking or anything but i did briefly short one of the solenoids by touching the wires together on it and it clicked.....

tried whacking the jump leads straight onto the motor too but they just gave off sparks and i got moaned at for nearly melting the rug!!

this is doing my nut in!! i am probably the least patient person in the world and it does not help!!!!

the ridge on the soleniods is the joint, I managed to open my old soleniods up once, but couldn't fix them so fitted a Albright soleniod unit instead.

IIRC the motor can't be run with a pair of jumpleads it needs one of the F terminals powered up as well as the A terminal & the body earthed.

i must seem like a proper retard now!! that picture makes no sense to me as i cant see which bdirection the solenoids are pointing and i can only see 9 connections... there are 6 on each of my solenoids!!

dont suppose you have a picture of your solenoids do you?? would be much easier for me to copy!!

I don't have a photo of the can type soleniods, as my 110 has a different type fitted.

my diagram is looking down on the terminal end of the can solenoids.

strip yours down to the 2 solenoids & all the connecting straps

then place them side by side standing on their flat end face with the terminal facing up & the larger body terminals facing to 12 & 6 o'clock positions,

you might have to make up some new connector bars so you can connect them as per the diagram above or at least check the correct terminals are connected together.

hope that helps

found this picture, yours need to be connected like these

:D

post-20-1233446359_thumb.jpg

post-20-1233446491_thumb.jpg

why not dump them and buy an albright ( proper one) solves lots of problem the can type bring

i had nothing but problems with my cans

dave

if i had any clues i would!!! the only winch i have had before was a hydraulic one which was on the motor when i got it!!

as you might have guessed i am clueless on winches just now.. is the albright expensive? is it easy to connect? why is it better than these cans??

Ste if any of the studs start to turn hold the inner nut with a suitable open end spanner otherwise the connections inside the can will be damaged, if these still won't pass power to the motor after you've reconnected the straps, quickest way to get the winch to run is to ditch the cans & buy a Albright soleniod.

from one of these suppliers google links & the connection diagram is in the Tech Archive index :D

post-20-1233510119_thumb.jpg

if i had any clues i would!!! the only winch i have had before was a hydraulic one which was on the motor when i got it!!

as you might have guessed i am clueless on winches just now.. is the albright expensive? is it easy to connect? why is it better than these cans??

albright unit is waterproof & a all in one unit, easy to connect & can be sited on the vehicle in a small area out of the way of dirt & water.

got one on my husky, tucked in the front left corner on top of my 110's inner wheel arch.

& it's much more robust & reliable than the can typr units.

think i tried this info nothing happened...

connected a lead between A & f1 and a positive to f2 and nothing

connected lead between A & f2 and positive to f1 and nothing.....

Did you do the above with a decent ground?

If you did, and the motor didn't spin, you've got an open circuit somewhere, either in the field/stator wiring, or most likely, in the rotor/armature wiring, the first thing i'd check would be the brushes and commutator.

The solenoids do nothing more than what you stated above - supply current to one end of the field wiring (F1 or F2), then connect the other end of the field (F2 or F1) to the armature (A). If the motor doesn't work with you making the connections manually, it won't work with the solenoids either.

Hope that helps.

Luke

re connected it all as per pictures supplied by western (cheers dude)!

still nothing!!

dont know whether to buy an albright or not.. winch only cost me £250 and i dont want to buy an albright and find out the motor is bust too! no idea how much that would cost to replace but i doubt its cheap!!

never been so stuck i need a winch and i am always with my mates when i do go out!!

i just liked the look of the bumper on ebay so i bought the winch off the same fella to go with it!!

i used a rare thing in my house!! PATIENCE!!!!!!!

connected A F1 F2 combos and made it go in and out!!!!

woohooo!!!!

will order an albright for it!!

is there any particular one i need????

had a quick search and there seem to be a few ranging from £20 to £60....

thanks for all the advice chaps!! going to order the one in the link as soon as!!

think £54 is reasonable to get a £1000 winch working that i only paid £250 for!!

`i am led to believe this winch is a very good one and pretty tough too so i will get the albright and time will tell!!!!