reliable 8274 motor upgrade

jacks906

whats the best option to go for for a reliable upgarde in power for my 8274

twin 12v bowmotors mounted like this

tophousing.JPG

or a single warn motor

winch022.jpg

i have a bow motor on at the mo which is starting to sound abit rough so looking at uprating to abit more power but at the same time needs to be reliable

defender wont be getting used as a comp one

cheers for any advise

dave

if your truck is not being used competevly , i wouldnt bother with the twin motor route complete wase of money for you :blink:

i would either stick with another bowmotor , or the warn xp , which ever route you go for im assuming it will go long periods without use , in that case make sure you coat all the brush guides etc in the motor in a silocone greease or some thing similar otherwise the condensation corrodes the guides and when you really want your winch it wont work

I love my twin motor but to be honest the XP is a pretty good upgrade and good value for money. Much better than the Bowmotor on a 8274. Go with the XP and you'll be happy with it. Dont keep winching when its about stalled or your batteries are flat and it will last fine.

the truck was going to be used for comps but now moving to transylvania

and it'll be used quiet alot some times an not much other times depending on were we end up going/doing which is why it needs the reliability

think i'll be on the look out for an xp motor, weres best place for them gigglepin have had all my money so far an been mega helpful so stick with the best place or anywhere cheaper?

cheers

dave

I would go to Gigglepin.

I have the single motor XP 8274 from Jim and it's great. Would pull my 90 (2.5 tonnes) out of deep holes on a single line pull with no problems. Combined with the wider drum and strengthened shaft it makes a great all round package if you don't want to be fighting with the best of the challenge boys.

I would go to Gigglepin.

I have the single motor XP 8274 from Jim and it's great. Would pull my 90 (2.5 tonnes) out of deep holes on a single line pull with no problems. Combined with the wider drum and strengthened shaft it makes a great all round package if you don't want to be fighting with the best of the challenge boys.

Exactly the same spec as mine.....not used it yet! on the list.

• 3 weeks later...
sorry for the long wait till i reply'd but sounds like thats the way to go with the xp

unless i needed more power then i could stretch to this

land-rover-300tdi-1994-rfc-car-031.jpg

http://www.4x4offroads.com/land-rover-300tdi-1994.html

only joking one xp for now

dave

Dave, the twin gearbox solution has been tried by a few people but has proved less than ideal because of the brake setup on the 8274 - the winch will try and tear itself apart.

If you need more power from your 8274 speak to Gigglepin 4x4. The quality of the top and bottom housings Jim sells are superb but come at a price.

I must admit ive hung of the end of one of Gigglepins twin motor winches a few times and for shear power and torque you cant beat them.

Yes they cost a lot but to be fare your getting a lot back for it, its a superb conversion for the serious user and even for the reliability factor as well.

2 motors, if 1 fails it will still run :)

1 motor, if it fails , no winch :(

Pete