7.50 tube in a 235/85

bluespanner

Is it acceptable to do this? I wouldnt imagine the difference was too great.

Cheers

Roly

This would be a smaller tube than the tyre - the tube will expand to fill the space but in my experience it is better that the tube is slightly too large rather than slightly too small. When I ran smaller tubes they chaffed and leaked. I stopped using tubes altogether and now have far less flats than I used to.

Adam

Is it acceptable to do this? I wouldnt imagine the difference was too great.

Cheers

Roly

Depends on the innertube. Different makers make a variety of different sized innertubes. Each size of innertube is designed to fit a range of tyre sizes, not just one size of tyre.

Usually the range of possible tyre sizes is in white letters on the innertube itself. You may have a tube which is designed for a range of tyres of which 7.50x16 is the largest. Equally you may have a tube which is designed to fit a range of tyres of which 7.50x16 may be the smallest, in which case it will be fine.

In my opinion the best innertubes are Michelin Airstop.

Regards,

Diff

in my experience it is better that the tube is slightly too large rather than slightly too small

Er :blink:

In my experience using a tube that is too large (we fix punctures at work) means folds in the tube which turn into splits and then flat tyres :unsure:

Michelins are the best as said (silly money, but still the best) but no tubes are better. And cheaper :)

However to answer the original question yes I am sure it will be fine as they are close to the same size.

When you have a spare tube sometime and it is expendable, blow it up until it goes bang. If you don't get it to about 40" tall and 18" wide I would be quite surprised so half an inch is neither here nor there unless its a rusty nail and you sit on it ;)