Which bits?

Hi, hoping for some wisdom from those more technically minded than me!

What I have is a 200tdi defender engine and transfer box somehow mated to an old 3 speed torqueflite gearbox - it is dog slow and is not releasing the power of the 200tdi engine - even with the boost up max.

Thinking of fitting an autobox from old 200 or 300 disco - anyone know what bits I will need in addition to the box itself - and is this possible? If so which is best - 200 or 300 gearbox?

It is only used for offroad - and getting to and from play site.

Any help much appreciated.

Gordo.

yeah is posible but you finding a 200tdi auto box is like rocking horse carp!! i found one couple weeks back on ebay.. here but its gone.. but if you get make sure you get the hole truck for doner.. or it could turn rediculoisly expensive..

if you want to put a 300tdi auto in. youll need to move your eninge foward 6" or so. the 300tdi box is 6" longer then the 200tdi box..

but then you have eather have new tunnleing made up or adapt it to fit the selector and you wont be able to have middle seat..

or you can just talk to bishbosh.. he is doing this to a 200tdi somthing.. i have contacted him about this question.. or you can contact ashcrofts they will be able to tell you alot about doing the conversions..

hope this helps.

cheers sam

^^^^^What he said^^^^^^

200TDi autoboxes are hard to find. However, I did hear a rumour that the autobox is the same as the 300 variety but it is the adaptor plate that joins it to the engine that is different. Still, finding the adaptor plate wil be just as hard.

I would think the quickest way forward is to sell on the 200TDi engine and torqueflight as separate entities and get a scrap 300TDi auto disco. That way you can be sure you will have all the main bits available.

Oh, Sam - I finished mine ages ago :P :P

^^^^^What he said^^^^^^

200TDi autoboxes are hard to find. However, I did hear a rumour that the autobox is the same as the 300 variety but it is the adaptor plate that joins it to the engine that is different. Still, finding the adaptor plate wil be just as hard.

I would think the quickest way forward is to sell on the 200TDi engine and torqueflight as separate entities and get a scrap 300TDi auto disco. That way you can be sure you will have all the main bits available.

Oh, Sam - I finished mine ages ago :P :P

oh splended.. is it going well? i still want to do it to mine.. haah

Hi i have a 200tdi auto,that started life as a manuel ,did the whole job my self took 4 long days .get your self a 300 tdi auto and gearlinkage.

You will have to get an adapter plate from a disc 200 auto they made a feww 200 autos,i looked for one for awhile but could not find one so got one from the dealer,its now classed as a classic part at around £175.

You will also need kick down brackeds for pump but these are cheap.Am a bit stuck for time at min but can post some more info later

post-13250-1233946669_thumb.jpg

post-13250-1233946702_thumb.jpg

Back again,when i got my box it came with everything ,apart from adaptor plate.

You will need the autobox torque convertor flexi plate ,adaptor plate,gearlinkages,oil cooler and pipes.

The 300 tdi auto box is approx 5inches longer than the manuel 200 box so you have to redrill the gearbox mounts,you also have to reduce the length of the rear prop by about 5inches and increase the length of the front.

Fitting the box is so easy and once fitted you will have to fit a oil cooler i got a 16 fin one of ebay and some pipe from a hydrolic place much cheaper than landrovers oil cooler and pipes.

You will also have to reposition the hi/low diff lock leaver i fitted it on a peace of alloy plate so it fitted in the correct place on the tunnel as the box sits further back,i also used the same tunnel no change to that needed.

Almost forgot to say you have to grinde the corner off the adaptor plate so it does not hit the exhaust (picture).

More pictures one of the chassis showing holes off old and new gearbox mounts

post-13250-1234032752_thumb.jpg

post-13250-1234032780_thumb.jpg

post-13250-1234032869_thumb.jpg

post-13250-1234033583_thumb.jpg

post-13250-1234033611_thumb.jpg

post-13250-1234033656_thumb.jpg

The 300 tdi auto box is approx 5inches longer than the manuel 200 box so you have to redrill the gearbox mounts,you also have to reduce the length of the rear prop by about 5inches and increase the length of the front.

You will also have to reposition the hi/low diff lock leaver i fitted it on a peace of alloy plate so it fitted in the correct place on the tunnel as the box sits further back,i also used the same tunnel no change to that needed.

Surely the answer is to move the engine forwards 5" (to the 300Tdi position) so as to minimise metal cutting/fabrication, and keep transmission parts remain standard?

As above, that seems like a particularly difficult way of doing things! just move engine forwards.

When i fitted my 300tdi auto i mounted the gearbox and transfer box while leaving the engine on the crane, got it to the right place, tacked the engine mounts in place, then removed the engine and fully welded the mounts.

Simple, no changing props etc.

Hi guys ,i think in my case it was much easier to do it this way,the prop shafts had to be removed to get the box out so they went straight in the wifes car and the garage adjusted them ,picked them up the next day and ready to fit once again.

Also the gearbox mount ,simple just redrill six holes.

The only bit of fabrication was mounting the high/low leaver on a bit of 5mm plate.

If i had moved the engine forward this would have ment new mounts and i have no welder,

Also all the wiring glow plugs ,pump,temp sender would have had to be extended not a big job but more work.

The fuel pipe to the pump would also need lengthing.

Also the exhaust front pipe would need extending to match up.and top and bottom radiator hoses would have to be shortened inter cooler pipes shortened,may be fan cowl removed.

I think also the engine would be close to the air filter and the steering box.

Lots of job, so i think 6 holes drilled and 2 props adjusted with a bunch of spanners and 2 jacks much easier in this case.

• 11 months later...

Hi i have a 200tdi auto,that started life as a manuel ,did the whole job my self took 4 long days .get your self a 300 tdi auto and gearlinkage.

You will have to get an adapter plate from a disc 200 auto they made a feww 200 autos,i looked for one for awhile but could not find one so got one from the dealer,its now classed as a classic part at around £175.

You will also need kick down brackeds for pump but these are cheap.Am a bit stuck for time at min but can post some more info later

i just got one of these adapter plates off ebay for £2.20