Vented discs

I run grooved & cross-drilled discs all round (vented up front) on my 110. Pads are standard cheap & cheerful Mintex jobs from Paddocks. The set up works a treat and is a big improvement over standard for sustained/repeated heavy braking. The discs have been on for ~10K miles, and it is one of those mod's that should have been done years ago.

The 110 is frequently used on the lanes around the Peak, so not persistent heavy mud, and I've not had a problem with the drillings holding mud. However, if your vehicle is generally used off road at low speed then I doubt you would notice any benefit from cross-drilled over standard.

normal LR supplied vented disc will do the same job, the cross drillings & grooves do contribute that much to a LR'S large braking power.

FTC902 for LR vented disc. don't forget you need spacers for the calipers too, if going from normal solid disc to vented.

... the cross drillings & grooves do contribute that much to a LR'S large braking power.

I should have been a bit clearer about the improvement. It's not in initial stopping power, but in fade resistance under sustained hard use. The standard set up did me for 280K miles, so LR can't have done that bad a job in the first place.

normal LR supplied vented disc will do the same job, the cross drillings & grooves do contribute that much to a LR'S large braking power.

FTC902 for LR vented disc. don't forget you need spacers for the calipers too, if going from normal solid disc to vented.

I was thinking of swaping to vented disks once the present ones have worn out, especially after experiencing brake fade a couple of times on long descents in the alps and pyrenees. I've never heard of fitting spacers, I thought I would have to replace the calipers as well. Are these a standard landrover part?

Mark

I was thinking of swaping to vented disks once the present ones have worn out, especially after experiencing brake fade a couple of times on long descents in the alps and pyrenees. I've never heard of fitting spacers, I thought I would have to replace the calipers as well. Are these a standard landrover part?

Mark

the spacers are already fitted to LR factory fitted vented disc vehicles, so you don't need any spacers, if you examine your calipers you'll see a block about 8 to 10mm thick between the 2 parts of the caliper body, these are to adapt the caliper so the wider disc will fit & the calipers can fit too.

some suppliers do a vented disc kit where the original calipers are split & the spacer blocks are fitted betwen the 2 caliper sections see the 4th & 5th pictures on this link http://www.zeus.uk.com/land-rover.php

If your going to the added expense of fitting uprated discs/pads.

Isnt id better to get the correct calipers rather than just fitting spacers? Just thinking as the brakse are one of the biggest saftey features?

I will be fitting new Calippers, Discs and pads, I have new hoses and checking the copper pipes

If your going to the added expense of fitting uprated discs/pads.

Isnt id better to get the correct calipers rather than just fitting spacers? Just thinking as the brakse are one of the biggest saftey features?

I will be fitting new Calippers, Discs and pads, I have new hoses and checking the copper pipes

nothing wrong with splitting a brake caliper to fit a spacer for vented disc conversion, provided any seals are replaced & the bolts are correctly tightened, that's all the brake manufacturers do before dispatching them to LR for fitting.

• 2 weeks later...