Failed MOT

Strega

Hi guys, took my mates 300tdi for it's MOT today and it failed on the indicators going too fast!! I have recently fitted a guardian rear bumper that does NOT have the provision for the extra set of indicators so they were disconnected and left cable tied under the floor. Is there a mod to make the car think it has the rear lights so they calm down a bit??!!!

someone will need to check this, as there may be an even easier way of doing it, but yes a resistor can be fitted either way round. the only thing that im concerned about is that a bulb changes its resistance because of the heat it gives off. but if there is no other way of correcting it then try a relay off of a disco with just one set of rear indicators maybe.

I have the opposite problem I have a 300tdi with 4 indicators on the rear and when I indicate I have the trailer light signal is coming on!!

Is it just a case of fitting a different rated flasher unit, if so which one would I need?

Regards

Michael

it is normal to have the trailer light to come on once during each turn signal operation

Hi ashtray

My problem is that they continue to stay on which leads me to suspect that it needs a different flasher unit.

Its a 97R 300tdi GS spec not sure if it had the dual lights from new or if they were added later.

Regards

Michael

mine is a 97 p, and mine was factory fit with twin rear indicators, so yours should have 2 sets aswell. if all turn signal lamps operate correctly and at the correct speed then i would bother searching for a fault. the trailer light is there to show that another bulb is fitted to that circuit, or so i believe?

When you turn on the indicators , the trailer light will flash once each time .

It will continue to flash only if you have a trailer hooked up .

Mine continues to flash even if the trailer is not connected!!!!!!!

Regards

Michael

My sister has a 98 300 Tdi and having spent a lot of time trying to get the 'upper'indicators to work I then discovered that the last of the 300 Tdi's didn't have these working from new . The wiring was there I think but the lenses didn't have indicators . I thought for a while that somone had fitted the wrong lenses .

I'm not sure at what point this change happened - maybe late 97 didn't have them either .

I had 2 96 300Tdi 's at various times aand they both had the same arrangement - indicators above and below and the trailer indicator flashed once each time an indicator was turned on . If I had a trailer connected it would continue to flash .

Michael

You are quite correct, you need a flasher unit from a Disco that was fitted with 4 indicators at the rear. I suspect someone has just added the extra indicator lights and not changed the flasher unit. My Discovery used to do this because I had a Bull Bar fitted which had 2 extra indicators in the front. Personally I did not bother changing the flasher unit, I just lived with it.

HTH

Ivan

Michael

You are quite correct, you need a flasher unit from a Disco that was fitted with 4 indicators at the rear. I suspect someone has just added the extra indicator lights and not changed the flasher unit. My Discovery used to do this because I had a Bull Bar fitted which had 2 extra indicators in the front. Personally I did not bother changing the flasher unit, I just lived with it.

HTH

Ivan

Ivan

Thank you!! You are correct just happend to see Tim who used to own the disco and he said he put the 200 style lights on the back when he had the vehicle but never changed the flasher unit!! As its all working and not causing any problems and towing lights still work fine I will leave it be, would hate to interfere with it and create a problem while its working!!!

Many Thanks everyone for all your help very greatfull!!!

Off now to carry on my project of fitting an incar media centre!!

Kind Regards

Michael

Re

speaking of which. My gf took the D2 to get its roadworthy (that's an MOT in SA). They failed it because... 'the spot lights are not connected'.

and then passed it when she promised to get it fixed asap.

and then thn auto-electrician hooked them up to the brights... without a switch. :rofl: