sat nav software

v84x4

Where I used to work the employer had a group licence for microsoft and other applications/programmes. If the IT people found you had unlicenced applications on your pc you were in for the high jump.

Would it me possible for a 4 x 4 club to get a 'group' or community licence so that it's members could share software such as MM? Would be cheaper for individual members whilst still being legal

Regards

Brendan

Got to hand it to you Brendan that sounds like a top idea, its certainly worth some further investigation.

Tim

Not unless you define "laning" in practical gps navigation terms.

An example should be enough, something you do with MM/Ozi/whatever other gps based raster moving map software.

As I understand it Google Earth, and Google mapping for that matter, don't have Boats or UCR's marked on them. So I don't see how they would be of any benefit laning in UK. You'd have to create overlays to achieve this.

The point with MM and the O/S maps is that you have all of these RoW's marked on them to enable easy route mapping before or on the go etc. Also if you have an issue with a land owner/ Rambler etc you have visible proof that you are on a published RoW. That doesn't guarantee that it's still legal to drive on, so you still have to do prep first to make sure it is, but if you are sure it is, it acts as visibile proof to back up your claim. Google Earth has none of this.

Lastly you have usual OS info like contours etc so that you can get some idea of the terrain. No I can see that Google Earth/Mapping would be an additional aid but not a replacement for good mapping whether you are in South Wales or the Algerian Saraha.

Cheers

Steve

Where I used to work the employer had a group licence for microsoft and other applications/programmes. If the IT people found you had unlicenced applications on your pc you were in for the high jump.

Would it me possible for a 4 x 4 club to get a 'group' or community licence so that it's members could share software such as MM? Would be cheaper for individual members whilst still being legal

Regards

Brendan

Falling foul of your employer's IT policy and getting fired is slightly more of an incentive to not use unlicenced software than being scolded / thrown out of your land rover club...... :ph34r:

Can't see a supplier going for it personally

Steve, for having BOATS in GE you go to http://www.way-finder.co.uk/, download/convert the data and you'll have them in a vector form in GE.

You can also draw/load/save tracks, waypoints etc like in any other software.

You don't have the elevation contours drawn but the elevation data is there, all you have to do is tilt in 3D and/or move the mouse over the point of interest to the altitude. IMO it gives a better idea of the terrain (same as MM in 3D does).

post-1725-1236366200_thumb.jpg

The maps in GE might not have all the details you get in OS maps but it's a freeware solution. To get all the OS maps with MM for the entire UK you have to pay what, 1000 pounds?

The maps in GE might not have all the details you get in OS maps but it's a freeware solution. To get all the OS maps with MM for the entire UK you have to pay what, 1000 pounds?

All UK in MM is £200 for 50K

And if you want the 25k maps with all the bells and whistles? A lot more.

If I were to spend £200 I'd buy Garmin Mobile PC for £50 and Great Britain TOPO Garmin map for £150 which has the OS data in it (you might need to switch "Locale" to "United Kingdom -English" in the links given in order to get the price in £).

Then you'll have all the bell and whistles of a vector map which is routable, searchable, ....., features which no raster map/software can provide.

And if you want the 25k maps with all the bells and whistles? A lot more.

If I were to spend £200 I'd buy Garmin Mobile PC for £50 and Great Britain TOPO Garmin map for £150 which has the OS data in it (you might need to switch "Locale" to "United Kingdom -English" in the links given in order to get the price in £).

Then you'll have all the bell and whistles of a vector map which is routable, searchable, ....., features which no raster map/software can provide.

Topo is for Garmin units and won't work on a laptop. Also I've used topo on my 60CS and I wouldn't recommend as a competitor to a laptop and MM for in car in UK.

First link I gave you is for the software enabling a PC (whether is a laptop/desktop) to use a Garmin map. Why do you think it's called Garmin Mobile PC? Just click the link and have a look/

I've posted a screenshot of this software in action, see http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry363967

It depends what version of the GB TOPO map you have/had. How big was the data on the install DVD? It should have had about 1.5 GB, the 0.5 GB version doesn't contain the OS bits.