Stage One swivel ball assy

LittleBlue88

Hi all

I have the chance to obtain some bits and pieces off a dead Stage One V8......the front brakes were what i really wanted as Lil' Blue is STILL on standard SWB drums with no servo! Can i just fit the ends(swivel ball-outwards) ?? Dont really fancy trying to drag a complete axle off it (wont fit in the back of SWB!)

Cheers

Hi all

I have the chance to obtain some bits and pieces off a dead Stage One V8......the front brakes were what i really wanted as Lil' Blue is STILL on standard SWB drums with no servo! Can i just fit the ends(swivel ball-outwards) ?? Dont really fancy trying to drag a complete axle off it (wont fit in the back of SWB!)

Cheers

Well, sort of.

The S1V8 axle is a CV type, rather than a UJ type, in that the half shafts are different where the hub swivels.

The diff is also a different ratio, however the splines are the same, so, in theory if you swap the half shafts too you should be ok. The inside of the swivel ball is different on the S1V8.

however............

The diff on the S1V8 is tilted up at the back, and the swivel balls are at a different angle to compensate, so if you fit them you will end up with a different castor angle. I can't remember if it is more or less, but it is different, which means that the steering geometry is way out. If more castor than the self centre may be so bad that you can't steer it, if less then you couldn't keep it straight.

What I suggest is that you sell the axle complete (less the brakes), you should get Stg 250 plus for it, and use the money to buy new swivel balls and bearings.

Unless you were planning on running permanent 4x4 in which case you should keep it.

G.

I can confirm the above, they fit but castor angles are a little different i belive, i run wedges on mine to compensate. If transport is the problem dismantle and carry it in bits, but try to keep the stage 1 axle tube, it avoids headaches later.

G

What you could do, though it would be a bodge and a shame, is to file the holes in the axle, or the swivel ball mounting flange, into slots, to allow you to adjust the castor angle.

Probably a lot of work, and cheaper to buy new swivel balls.

G.

This was a "standard" "upgrade" performed in Australia on some Rangerovers, in order to improve the self-centering action.

Apparently done by many dealers.

I'd rather the OP sold the axle and bought new, but circumstances differ, needs must.

G.