Handling - stiffer and lower

Chicken Drumstick

To make a Disco handle better and be more road biased who sells the best on road suspension upgrades?

I assume poly bushes, lower stiffer springs, better damping and bigger anti-roll bars. I know Twisted Performance have done some good stuff with the Defender, would they be a good starting point to look at?

Or does anyone know of any other good places to look?

Thanks. :D

it doesnt seem a popular thing to do, im thinking of going down the same line with my td5, but struggling to find any suppliers or advice

twisted are advertising suspension upgrades for road use -- coming soon, but judging by the rest of their suff it wont be cheap,

you dont say which disco youve got, but id think twice about blowing a grand on a mid 90s one when the best youl get is a bad handling car rather than a very bad handling one, landrover answer was the active sus system, which work very well when it works

the best thing to do would be to get some wider wheels of a td5 or range rover, update the bushes to get the slackout of it

and get some new standard shocks on it but drop the spring height by about an inch with shorter springs, this will get it as good as it was when it came out of the factory, but you wont be racing evo's any time soon

Ta.

I think ACE is a good thing, but 90's/Defenders can be made to corner well (been in a few that do). The D1 isn't really all that different just a bit heavier, which with the pickup chop I'm hoping to solve.

I think lower ride height and bigger ARB's should make a difference, ride quality isn't really a concern, which I think was key to ACE, as LR wanted to retain the ride and the articulation but reduce roll.

Maybe I've got it all wrong though....

More reading and waiting to see if a nice D2 4.0 litre turns up at sill money.

Twisted is local to me and they are excellent - apart from not doing petrol vehicles...............!

I have been researching this for a while. I only go "soft road" rather than "off road" so I want to head for better handling.

Scorpion do -65mm springs and an uprated anti roll bar, which I think will go well with 30mm spacers.

LR enthusiast have covered some Defenders with this type of upgrade recently. Looks good and handles well!!

A few years ago I fitted a set of Famous Four's fast road springs with decarbon shocks and genuine orange polly bushes to a RR. Everyone who drove it including a very experienced LR spanner man recon it was the best handling RR they had drive. Oh and you could get it to drift without it falling over :ph34r:

Brookers

So my Discovery handles pretty well - I'm happy to slide at speeds well over the legal limit, but the secret of our success has been losing weight!

We now use Milner Varidamps and standard rate springs, but the handling on the fast stuff was pretty good with the twin procomps we had on previously.

We use a mixture of genuine and polybushes and standard anti-roll bars.

So my Discovery handles pretty well - I'm happy to slide at speeds well over the legal limit, but the secret of our success has been losing weight!

We now use Milner Varidamps and standard rate springs, but the handling on the fast stuff was pretty good with the twin procomps we had on previously.

We use a mixture of genuine and polybushes and standard anti-roll bars.

What did you do to reduce weight?

I was thinking:

Pickup conversion, so lose most of the roof and rear panels with just a flat(ish) bed and some for of lightweight tailgate.

Remove the rear bumper and either smooth off or fit a lighter alternative of some description.

Strip the interior, probably keep the dash, seats of some description and centre console, but ditch anything thats not needed.

Fit a lighter weight front bumper of some description.

Remove spare tyre and possibly jack (but leave room to refit if a longer trip is planned)

And that's as far as I've got.

The only thing I was thinking of doing to add any weight would be a roll hoop behind the cab, partly for safety and partly for looks.

My last range rover ran on -1 inch springs, standard anti roll bars and blistein dampers. Red polys all round. This handled very well.

The springs came from Famous Four. I'm actually going to fit a set of these to my Discovery (currently have the standard height ones but I very rarely off road)

Hi guys, as a converted Twisted man I would suggest a chat with Charlie even if you think his prices a bit steep his info and enthusiasm is more than welcome, personally stiffer anti rollbars would be my starting point, best of luck