Leaky sunroof, how is it retained?

91 200TDi CSW.

There is a sunroof above the front seats which I have seen on lots of similar aged trucks. I am therefore assuming, possibly incorrectly, that this was a factory fitted item. I am pretty sure its letting water into the headcloth which then tinkles down onto the tops of the front doors first time I brake.

I've checked the download on leak fixing, but its not mentioned

I need to remove the assembly and rebed onto fresh sealant.

Does anyone know how to get the assembly out, preferably without breaking it.

Cheers

David

Yep. :rofl:

depending on the trim inside around the sunroof frame either remove the rubber seal & headliner or carefully remove the plastic trim strip, just ease one edge from the headliner & get the clips to pop out of the frame.

then you should see a ring of screw heads,remove all of these & the glass panel, store both safely, the inner frame should come away from the roof 7 prise the outer frame off from outside, don't bend it.

if your truck has the roof level alpine windows above the rain gutter, check the seals on these. I'm having a similar problem & will be obtaining new seals for them very soon.

Yup, got Alpine windows too.

The sunroof has a hard plastic inner trim, so I will ease that, I guess it would be better doing this when its warm, rather than cold and brittle.

Thanks for the help, yet again.

Cheers

David

I have a variety of trim removing tools from my time on the tools, I'll go carefully.

Edit, warm and dry does not exist in the West of Scotland. Warm and wet, but in the workshop will have to do.

Cheers

David

Had a similar problem with mine but I think it was mainly from condensation on the inside.

Trouble is, you can get a fair bit of condensation on the underside of the roof itself, most of which will migrate to the edges and then to the door tops as you say.

The final solution on mine (prompted by getting wedged under a big tree branch, badly denting the roof and breaking one of the alpine windows,) was to replace the entire roof with a basic van one with no glass in at all. I lined the whole inner surface by gluing on some 5mm thick closed cell foam sheet before re-fitting the headling, this improves the insulation cutting down both dampness and noise, just so long as you're not bothered about having a sunroof - I'm not, less bits to break - and leak!

My 110 CSW rebuild includes a second hand roof WITHOUT the tilt/removable sun roof.

IMHO this things are the work of the devil and cannot be made leakproof for an extended period. The seals appear to be no longer available and a replacement sunroof is silly money.

Have one of these on my 90 CSW, I actually after trying all of that, getting fed up with it STILL leaking, went for the option of just sealing the thing closed permanently, both on the inside and outside.

I did this last October, It worked! :D

That was until about mid January when it started leaking again, I have now gone and bought myself a replacement roof without the sunroof!

Managed to get the inner surround down with only two clips breaking. I've moved the good clips around and will have the missing clips either side of the handle surround which is screwed in and should retain it.

Into the workshop tomorrow for the removal, reseal and reseat job.

Cheers

david