Defender door skins

Hi im sorry i have no personal experience but i have noticed they have been selling on ebay recently if you can find them i am pretty surre it was craddocks selling them, and look at their feedback you will find some people who have purchased them and by contacting the buyers through ebay you can ask the question. If you have any difficulty with this let me know and when i get 5mins i can do it for you regards Antony

Hi im sorry i have no personal experience but i have noticed they have been selling on ebay recently if you can find them i am pretty surre it was craddocks selling them, and look at their feedback you will find some people who have purchased them and by contacting the buyers through ebay you can ask the question. If you have any difficulty with this let me know and when i get 5mins i can do it for you regards Antony

Cheers for that Antony, never thought of it :rolleyes:

Paul

Personally i would think that using them the whole door will rot not just the frames but at least it will all probably fall apart together :P

On the contrary the reason why they rot so badly is due to the electrolytic action between the steel frame and the alloy panel. If the whole door where ally it would last forever, if the whole door were well treated steel it would last 20 years as it is now my genuine waxoyled from new defender front doors are showing the first signs of electrolytic corrosion after 6 years :(

Cheers, Paul

I rebuilt my front doors with new aluminium skins and replacement section door bottom steelwork.

Chopped the old bottom section out, welded new piece in, covered the whole steel frame in multiple layers of red oxide, then applied 3 or 4 layers of really thick&wide PVC tape over the top of it all, followed by lashings of waxoyl before placing the skin over the top and bashing the edges over. Been like new for the last year and half now, no reason why they wont last another 18 years.

On the contrary the reason why they rot so badly is due to the electrolytic action between the steel frame and the alloy panel. If the whole door where ally it would last forever, if the whole door were well treated steel it would last 20 years as it is now my genuine waxoyled from new defender front doors are showing the first signs of electrolytic corrosion after 6 years :(

Cheers, Paul

I was always under the impression that its the rusting steel frame that then reacts with the alloy which then gives the electrolosis on the door skin

I was always under the impression that its the rusting steel frame that then reacts with the alloy which then gives the electrolosis on the door skin

Fraid not it's the different electrical potential between the two metals.

Cheers, Paul

My 110 SW rear doors are dented but 'tin worm' free. As aluminium is very difficult to repair I was thinking of fitting these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-...A1%7C240%3A1318

steel door skins from Craddocks, does anyone know if they are any good?

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul.

I could realy get involved with this electrolitic corrosion on here,but better not.

Those 'Craddoc' doors MAY be zinc plated! Now I think you ought to find that out, because it may put a different complexion on things, for the better maybe???

For my part, my 1997 Defender 90 doors, treated by me eight years ago are are still ok. As is all of my 1997 Volvo V70 A.W.D. I looked in it's doors six years ago, found nothing wrong, and they have stayed that way. If only Volvo made Defenders and took real pride in the fact.

Best regards.

Howard.

2x300TdiDef.

I rebuilt my front doors with new aluminium skins and replacement section door bottom steelwork.

Chopped the old bottom section out, welded new piece in, covered the whole steel frame in multiple layers of red oxide, then applied 3 or 4 layers of really thick&wide PVC tape over the top of it all, followed by lashings of waxoyl before placing the skin over the top and bashing the edges over. Been like new for the last year and half now, no reason why they wont last another 18 years.

I'd probably do something similar meself but I've never seen alluminium 2nd row door skins for sale, my frames are sound it's just the skins that are dented and I'm a bit of a girl when it comes to my Landy :rolleyes:

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul.

I could realy get involved with this electrolitic corrosion on here,but better not.

Aye your dead right there matey, it's worth a whole book on the subject, I'm thinking you must have had a boat at some time :rolleyes: There's many a boat been lost by people who didn't take head of electrolytic action.

Cheers, Paul

My 110 SW rear doors are dented but 'tin worm' free. As aluminium is very difficult to repair I was thinking of fitting these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-...A1%7C240%3A1318

steel door skins from Craddocks, does anyone know if they are any good?

Cheers, Paul

in the items for sale forum there is a pinned notice about stuff for sale on ebay, 2nd from top. Any way I was looking there and there is two rear doors, look silver colour in the west midlands, item no 300300695736, 2006 year.

Good luck.