Fancy a breather? So where is it then?

chadler

Short and sweet question... Does an r380 have a breather on it? If so then how come i can't find it anywhere despite having the floor and centre tunnel out of my 90?

I've got a raised breather kit that i'm fitting and it's driving me mad not knowing if i've missed one.

Ok this just gets stranger and stranger. It's a brand new gearbox so there is no oily muddy sludge to hide things. I have, after googling for any picture of an R380 I can find, located a threaded hole on the RHS of the gearbox, on the raised flange where the silver (rear) part of the gearbox meets the black (forward) part. First impressions of the hole though are that there is no way an elbow fitting will fit under and clear the difflock linkage. And as suspected, it won't. I'll try to take a photo nopw to show what I mean. I'm sure this is an idiosyncracy of the short bellhousing gearbox. I don't even think that a normal banjo fitting would be low enough profile to fit, but that's the next plan....

here is a picture of an R380 that I just found that shows the proper breather location (Not My Gearbox), the breather is where the bit of black pipe joins the sticky-out bit at a 45 degree angle.

r380three.jpg

all 4 wheel drive 380's have the breather here, same as photo,

are you sure you have a 380 ?

whats the serial number ?

Very sure, you sold it to me Sir!

The reason I was so stumped was due to the fact that the hole was completely obscured by the ratio-linkage and just looked like a blind hole in the casting - it had no existing breather fitting on it. Only by poking a cable tie into it did I discover that it went all the way inside the 'box. The shift housing is further forward than on a long R380 I think and therefore completely obscures the breather fixing. I managed to get a banjo fitting to fit under the linkage, and I'm glad I didn't give up as I would have been leaving a hole straight through into the gearbox internals. A few photos to round up the thread and make it useful for future reference...

Breathers009.jpg

elbow fitting obstructed by linkage

Breathers006.jpg

Linkage removed, showing elbow location

Breathers011.jpg

banjo fitting under linkage

Breathers010.jpg

Transfer box breather, photo taken from under driver's seat

transfer box breather location

I have a stumpy bel housing R380 & it's breather is on the right upper side to the rear of the difflock linkage, Item 51 on this page from the Defender workshop manual.

Ralph,

that's even odder, because as you can see from my annotation of your diagram, that's not where my breather is!

r380diagram.jpg