Siezed bolts....WHY??

smo

I'm working on the D-Lander using lots of fittings however im having particular problems with my steel rivnuts (fitted with proper rivnut tool) and the stainless steel button head bolts.

Even when screwed in by hand, 50% of them sieze solid - one managed this after just 30 seconds it was stuck so hard i sheared it off trying to remove it.

WHY do they keep doing this, steel+stainless are compatible, im not putting them in tight, or cross threaded but they still sieze solid.

HELP!

I'm working on the D-Lander using lots of fittings however im having particular problems with my steel rivnuts (fitted with proper rivnut tool) and the stainless steel button head bolts.

Even when screwed in by hand, 50% of them sieze solid - one managed this after just 30 seconds it was stuck so hard i sheared it off trying to remove it.

WHY do they keep doing this, steel+stainless are compatible, im not putting them in tight, or cross threaded but they still sieze solid.

HELP!

Hi I had the same problem until I put copper slip on the bolts, it seems that stainless likes lubrication going into any material !!

stainless can be a bit grabby as a material anyway, but is it worth checking your rivnut tool - it may be that you are slightly over compressing the rivnut, making it a tight thread? Might be worth running a tap down the rivnut before running the bolt into it?

just a couple of thoughts...

Mark

Cheers guys, i shall get out the copper grease, run a tap down them first and check the tool setting, i know they are dust free as they are coming out the box but will even blow them through first to make sure :)

There is a name for this but i cant think what it is so thats no help really. I thought it only happened to ss/ss not to ss/mild and it happens when the top coat of the ss is rubbed off and causes it to "weld" to itself. Puting some lub on them should remove the problem.

SS is a pain in the but to use.

As above i always run a tap down the thread and i often run a die down the bolt as they can be just as bad.

Make a construction with SS take a little longer but having dril and retap a cage takes even longer, but then as i no longer work for an ass with a stop watch who cares.

Oh yes plenty of copper ease too.

There is a name for this but i cant think what it is so thats no help really. I thought it only happened to ss/ss not to ss/mild and it happens when the top coat of the ss is rubbed off and causes it to "weld" to itself. Puting some lub on them should remove the problem.

Give that man a cigar!

Smo, you are experiencing 'galling', one of the characteristics of s/s. Google it, there's loads to read. :)