Rover V8 4.2 into my 3.5 bobtail

Got myself a 4.2 to replace me 3.5efi but I am running tubular manifolds and no cats, whereas the 4.2 is a 1994 with cats and lambada sensors. How do I go about removing the sensors and wiring etc. or can't I?

Hi Rhys

I removed mine and had to change to tune resistor but I cant remember what colour I used, I can check tommorrow but no doubt someone far wiser than me will post the details before I get back to you.

Jon

Got myself a 4.2 to replace me 3.5efi but I am running tubular manifolds and no cats, whereas the 4.2 is a 1994 with cats and lambada sensors. How do I go about removing the sensors and wiring etc. or can't I?

The 4.2 will be "Hotwire" EFI whereas the 3.5 will be "Flapper". Do you have the whole wiring loom with the 4.2, including ECU and air flow meter?

You can either add the lambda sensors to the tubular manifolds (I have done this in the past) or as mentioned above remove them and change the tune resistor to a non-lambda variety.

Follow the EFi loom down from the ECU plug for 4-8 inches, you should find a blue two pin plug and socket taped into the loom. This is the tune resistor and will probably be white, a value of 3900 ohms, it needs replacing with a green tune resistor which has a value of 470 ohms.

The green tune resistor instructs the ECU to ignore the lambda signals and run in the open loop mode.

jw

Thank you Mr Warne!

However, can I run my manual difflock on the back of that or do I need to run the viscous that is already on it?

Yes, coz thats what I have in mine. Its the HP22 "740" box out of the 4.2 LSE. It is the strongest of the Hydraulic box's with many of the uprated parts used in the later and uprated box's fitted as std. It bolts straight to an LT230.