Snapped Stud removal

Anybody got any ideas or recommend the best way to remove a sheared exhaust manifold stid? Trouble is it's sheared off below the level of the manifold but removing the manifold is really difficult, so I'm trying to do it in situ. It's a Nissan engine but I wondered if there's a special tool that would fit inside the hole? Thanks, Dave

If you are thinking of an 'easy out', then that is one of the best oxymorons around. They are neither easy, nor do they get the stud out. They usually snap in the stud and make it more arkward to get both out.

The correct way is to take the manifold off, a pain I know, but it really is the best way.

Cheers

David

The usual way would be to drill a hole into the centre of the remains of the stud and then use an extractor (tapered left handed spiral thread) to screw into the hole and hopefully unscrew the stud.

Two problems here though, first you need access to get a drill straight into and parallel to the stud, secondly it needs to be fairly accurately centred otherwise the extractor will jam in the hole and damage the thread.

If you can overcome the first obstacle, the second one is easier.

The last time I had to remove a broken M10 drive flange bolt, I used a 5mm drill and first drilled through the head of a M6 cap head bolt until it separated from the threaded bit, it made a perfect spacer to fit inside the outer hole and keep the drill bit centred.

post-13593-1237932985_thumb.jpg

Anybody got any ideas or recommend the best way to remove a sheared exhaust manifold stid? Trouble is it's sheared off below the level of the manifold but removing the manifold is really difficult, so I'm trying to do it in situ. It's a Nissan engine but I wondered if there's a special tool that would fit inside the hole? Thanks, Dave

I have a set of stud extractors, same principal as the others, drill the hole first is the hardest job, but the tool itself that I have is like a spline shaft that you tap into the hole then a nut slides on to the spline and you use a 17mm spanner to twist the sheared off stud out with. best to heat the stud b4 tapping in the spline. I can post a pic if you want later on.

Not really an easy way if it's snapped off there. As others have said drill a hole and use one of the methods described.

However I have a solution for it not happening again, did it with my Isuzu engine in my 90 when one of the studs needed replacing, and just done it to a mates 300tdi, take the rest of the stupid studs out and just replace them with M8 nuts and bolts, makes for a much easier job if for some reason one of them shears again.

Do you mean jsut bolts as a replacement as I can't see how you use nuts & bolts or am I being thick? Surely you have to be spot on with length.

Nope nut and bolt, once you get the stud out you should be left with a hole through your exhaust manifold, where the stud went in, just drop an M8 bolt though the hole stick an M8 nylock nut on the otherside.

Yes you need to make sure they go through the manifold and the exhaust flange with room to pop a nut on, but, really is quite simple, and a lot easier to replace should you ever need to.

Nope nut and bolt, once you get the stud out you should be left with a hole through your exhaust manifold, where the stud went in, just drop an M8 bolt though the hole stick an M8 nylock nut on the otherside.

Yes you need to make sure they go through the manifold and the exhaust flange with room to pop a nut on, but, really is quite simple, and a lot easier to replace should you ever need to.

I think the OP is refering to a stud in the head rather than in the flange.

Cheers

David