coolant filler plastic nut

k9unit

But don't tighten those excessively or the O ring can squeeze out. The OEM ones have a peripheral groove for it to sit in so it doesn't deform.

What about the B&Q one with some PTFE tape?

I have left the O ring in but just not flattened it when tightening. It just needs a bit of care is all.

The one shown is a parallel thread, so I doubt you could bin the O ring.

Got it!! :)

I have left the O ring in but just not flattened it when tightening. It just needs a bit of care is all.

The one shown is a parallel thread, so I doubt you could bin the O ring.

The fat O ring is just to show a sealing possibility. The brass plug is laying in the tool box just in case its ever needed. I have a selection of O rings again from B&Q so may try a thinner one or even a fibre washer when the time comes.

But I think replacing my plastic plug will be a long way off, I'm now using the red long life anti-freeze so the plastic plug only has to be removed once every five years, and as the anti-freeze has only been changed three times over the last eleven years the existing plug still looks as new. :)

The fat O ring is just to show a sealing possibility. The brass plug is laying in the tool box just in case its ever needed. I have a selection of O rings again from B&Q so may try a thinner one or even a fibre washer when the time comes.

But I think replacing my plastic plug will be a long way off, I'm now using the red long life anti-freeze so the plastic plug only has to be removed once every five years, and as the anti-freeze has only been changed three times over the last eleven years the existing plug still looks as new. :)

I reckon thats just tempting fate :( . The one on the engine on my 300tdi cracked whilst being driven, luckily I stopped around the corner from a brass fitting wholesaler. Bugger of a job removing the damaged plastic one. Now both are replaced with proper brass plugs.

I bought 4 alternative brass plugs on eBay that have the O seal groove built in. Basically they are identical to the originals but are a metal not the unreliable plastic.

Todd.

Sounds good. Do you have a link to this ebay seller?