zf auto box filter change

ABC

hi is it a simple job to change the oil and filter in my auto box . the box works fine with no problems . ive had it for nealy 3 years and done about 24000 in that time i can tackle most jobs on a disco ie swivels timeing belts head gaskets ect(not on this 1)on 2 i had before but this is the first auto ive had so any advice would be helpfull thanks

hi is it a simple job to change the oil and filter in my auto box . the box works fine with no problems . ive had it for nealy 3 years and done about 24000 in that time i can tackle most jobs on a disco ie swivels timeing belts head gaskets ect(not on this 1)on 2 i had before but this is the first auto ive had so any advice would be helpfull thanks

I;ve done this by myself. Quite easy. Be accurate and follow the instructions in book (Rave).

One tip - don't expect to drain all 10 litters from it. I've managed to drain only half of volume.

Top tip - DON'T CHANGE THE OIL

Have a read on Ashcrofts site - with high mileage boxes (which I suspect yours is) the extra detergent / cleaning effect of the new oil can dislodge built up crud in the box which ends up blocking the valves. This happened to me and I was lucky it cleared up after a month of staying in 1st gear for the first 5 miles!!!!

Honestly, if the box is working fine and the oil on the end of the dipstick is still red then leave well alone. :)

thanks. teabag. for the link exelent and its only done 80'000 and its a jap disco that had never towed anything and i put the towbar on and ive only towed a caravan a few times and ive sold that now but thanks anyway

Honestly, if the box is working fine and the oil on the end of the dipstick is still red then leave well alone. :)

I agree, but we see high-mileage Discos that have been used for towing with dirty burnt oil. What we normally do then is change the oil every month until it gets back to being red. But we do explain to the owners that they had better start saving up for a recon box.

Towing large boats and loaded horseboxes in high ambient temperatures will kill the ZF box off quickly unless you fill with Dexron III fully synthetic ATF. The synthetic isn't necessarily a better lubricant, but it has much higher temperature limits.