which gearbox rrc v8

derrick

Hi all new guy here been trolling all your Q&A for a while now building a series 3 v8 on new galv chassis . can any body advise on a gearbox that will fit straight on to v8 rrc and fits nicely into series 3 as my box has had it and cant aford a recon . pity as i wanted to keep all me knobs . and i have already got convertion bell .spigot and drilled rrc fly wheel

You dont say if your series is a 88 or 109.but you can use a LT77 from a tdi defender which will bolt straight upto the v8 with your conversion ring as the tdi and series engines have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing,you would be pushed to fit anything bigger in such a small space!

You dont say if your series is a 88 or 109.but you can use a LT77 from a tdi defender which will bolt straight upto the v8 with your conversion ring as the tdi and series engines have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing,you would be pushed to fit anything bigger in such a small space!

HI forgot to add it is an 88". do i use the LT77 BOX with its own transfer box or can i use my series transer box. if not will i need to have some new prop shafts made up . Im sure it has all been coverd before but iv always kept my landys standard up till now. it will mainly be just used on the road but want it to be as relyable as pos. sorry all the Q but much appreciate all your replys thankyou del.

LT77 or R380 will fit but you need the Defender versions or the gearstick will be behind you. LT230 is the best solution, the adapter kit to use a Series transfer box is £££ and LT230 gives you a choice of ratios. If you're careful you may be able to position it all so you can use either one or two standard props (not necessarily standard to your car, but off-the-shelf LR ones) which will cut costs. You may want to convert the LT230 to 2WD (use the search button) although some people haven't bothered and report no problems.

LT77 or R380 will fit but you need the Defender versions or the gearstick will be behind you. LT230 is the best solution, the adapter kit to use a Series transfer box is £££ and LT230 gives you a choice of ratios. If you're careful you may be able to position it all so you can use either one or two standard props (not necessarily standard to your car, but off-the-shelf LR ones) which will cut costs. You may want to convert the LT230 to 2WD (use the search button) although some people haven't bothered and report no problems.

i've got the above setup in my v8 88" coiler.

rear diff : rrc front prop (the thin 'rod' type instead of a 'pipe') : LT230 + Defender LT77 : front disco 1 prop : series conversion plate : v8

i've had it on the articulation ramp without shocks on just testing, and it all moves up and down like it should (lots :lol: )

chears thanks for all your imput very usefull. although have found a enginering guy who can help with my old box so will use it for now and see how it goes. but i would still like to try lt77 later when i have some spare cach .probably not soon then. i will keep posting when i need to now i know you guys are so helpfull and post some pics. show how build is going. next job after have engine in is to refabricate new footwells for v8 room