parabolics and wheel/tyres

muckshifta

a mate from work has generously given me a set of brand new parabolics think they are paddocks not to sure tho.after going all modern and selling his LWT and getting a Disco.

anyway as I want to fit bigger tyres eventually when I'm fitting the springs would it be worth while fitting the longer hangers off a ex military 109 aswell???

Also dampers which would be better longer gas filled or oil ??? saying that because the fitter at work yesterday gave me 4 shocks off a truck that have around 6 inches more travel in both direction and uses the same size bushes as a series but are oil filled would they be ok??

and finally wheels and tyres was thinking of either buying new 8 spokes and 235/85/16 bfg mud terrains

or sitting my shed theres a set of RangeRover steel rims that have been already modded to fit series axles,so if I decide to use the RR rims whats the biggest tyre thatwill fit on them,as currently they are fitted with tatty 205/16 remoulds

Andrew

Hi - sounds like a bargain! Free is my favourite price.

Since you know they are long enough and won't bottom out, the only useful piece of info for these shocks is their damping coefficient - oil or gas isn't so important, what matters is whether a landy bouncing about on them is about the right weight to make them work well.

You have 2 choices I guess, stick 'em on and see how it feels, or try to find out what make/model they are and compare the specs with other landy shocks (pref ones for parabolics).

As parabolic springs have less inter-leaf friction than semi-elliptic springs, you need different shocks which will work harder at taking energy out of the system. Fitting paras and keeping standard shocks isn't a good plan. Hope that helps a bit, Al.

The spring manufacturers say use gas, but I kept oil for a couple of years and didn't notice any problems, the shocks were knackered at the end of it but that may just be age.

Gas seems to damp better but again they are now new so it may just be that.

I have longer shackles and they help especially at the rear with 235 85 Grizzlys.

Al and Tonk ask the right questions. I had a set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks on the Tonka with 2 leaf rears for a while. The rear shocks were for a Dodge Ram 1/2 ton pick up. BIG mistake. It didn't matter how I adjusted them, the rear springs on the Dodge were big stiff buggers and even on the hardest setting, they just didn't dampen enough with the flexy paras. On gas vs oil, unless you are doing a lot of long travel on washboard or some comp/safari type stuff where they are working like mad, oil should be fine.

fittin to a swb or lwb?

wot make of shock r they?

2,3 or 4 leaf rears?

235's r the biggest u can fit without panel chopping

tis a swb

popped into work this mornin just annoy the fitter :) even though im on my weekend ,the joys of working 5 from 7

the shocks are made by Boge ,been looking thru the fitter's parts books seems they are meant for the 4x4 version of the Volkswagen LT the older one not the same shape as the merc sprinter

asked my other mate who gave me the para's they came from paddocks and are 3 leaf rears

shall just try them together ,if they dont work shall just get the right shocks whats the best to get if I eventually need them?

cheers guys

Andrew

procomp are good for the money imo.

only thing to check on your shocks u r goin to bolt on is that on full compression of the suspension that the shock can go short enough

Just finished fitting paras 3 leaf on the rear 2 on the front to my 88" , using the 109" shackles and a set of ES 3000 pro-comp(as advised by the members a couple weeks back), Im running on 235/85/16 Ironman Muds and have gained 3" of clearance over the standard set up. Advantage of the pro comp is that you dont have to make a plate for the shock, it fits straight on to the original bottom mount. Much more flexible off road and that little bit comfier on road... Good Luck !