Starting problem (electrical?)

Hi All,

Got a problem starting my '92 def. 90 (200 tdi). When I turn the ignition, first the engine turns over a couple of times, then doesn't and all I can hear is a very rapid clicking noise. When I try again, the engine doesn't turn over at all and all I can hear is the rapid clicking. At first I thought it was coming from the fuse box relays, but I think it's actually coming from the starter itself. Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Cheers in advance.

Ant.

Additionally, can someone confirm the fusebox relay functions for me?

From right to left I have:

A big red one

A big black one (Indicators)

A small yellow one

Another small yellow one

A small green one

Another small green one

(The green and yellows may have been twisted round 180 degrees)

I'm guessing that the big red one is the starter motor relay, but I have no idea what the small green and yellow ones do.

Ant.

Flat battery - diesels take a lot of power to start. The clicking is the starter solenoid, as the starter motor kicks in it draws so much power the battery voltage drops so low the solenoid can't hold anymore and clicks off. Then the battery voltage recovers, solenoid clicks in... etc. hence the rapid clicking as the battery dies - followed by no clicking at all :(

A jump start may do it, but you want a new battery by the sound of it - assuming there's not some other problem causing the battery to go flat, like a dead alternator or stray current draw when the ignition's off.

Welll I've just bought and fitted a new battery and that's not made any difference. Bugger. I'm £70 lighter and still not going anywhere.

Any other ideas before I rip the starter out?

I had exactly the same on my 1993 200 tdi.

Check the main earth cable from the battery to the chassis. Mines had corroded really badly.

Take it off, give it a good clean and it should help.

I had to chop a bit off mine and out on a new ring connection.

Good Luck

Thanks Greg.

Numpty question coming up ...

... where is the main earth cable?

The thick ones going to the starter look fine & secure.

Scratch that last question, it's bloody obvious where that is!!

I've checked that and it looks fine. A touch dirty, but fine.

An old tip but worth trying. Try tapping the solenoid on the starter motor with a hammer/long piece of wood. If it starts after that then it's the solenoid sticking. If it doesn't start check you are getting 12v to the solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. If not then it may the fuse for the starter solenoid feed.

HTH

Ivan

Right, I couldn't get near the damn starter with my meter, so I've removed the manifolds for a better view.

I'm not completely sure of how the starter functions. Could someone here tell me what I should expect to read across these numbered terminals before I pull the starter out?

Dscf0119.jpg

1. is obviously the main positive from the battery, so should be permenantly +12 v

4. is obviously the main earth.

I'm guessing that 2 is the solenoid negative switch triggered by the ignition, so I should only get continuity to earth when the ignition is turned. Am I correct with these assumptions?

So, what the heck is 3 and 5 (two additional positives connected to 1)?

And where would I find the starter relay?

Starter relay found (I knew where it was, just wasn't sure which one of the 6 in the fuse box it was). I've replaced it and it's fixed the problem. Wish I'd persisted with that first before removing the manifolds.

Ahh well, in the process, I've found that my clutch slave is leaking so I'm replacing that also.

Thanks for the help everyone.