Removing 2007 centre console

I want to add some Carling switches into the centre console of my 2007 Defender at the point marked x in the photo.

How do I remove the front of the console? I have removed the two screws at the sides of the rotating heating controls but the panel is not released with just these. What else do I need to do?

I have tried removing the knobs on the heating controls but they don't appear to come away easily. The headlamp adjustment knob will pull off but it looks as if this does not need to be removed. Can anyone who has done this talk me through the process. I don't want to damage anything as the vehicle is still under warranty.

Also, when the panel is removed do you get easy access to the sides of the console without further removal of parts like heating pipes?

Many thanks

Tom

post-6891-1238490899_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Not tried on 2007 Defender however experience of other vehicles, they often hide screws behind things like the heater controls or heater controls may be retaining it. Also suggest you remove the radio to get a better view behind the dash if you've got the code!

Rob

Remove the two fasteners you have highlighted and give the whole central section a tug to release it from the spring clips holding it in place. I've not tried it myself but this is definitely the way detailed by Land Rover.

I have a loose dash panel here on our workbench and can confirm the switches will fit in the location where you want to fit the switches. Emergency vehicles are fitting the switches in that exact location.

One thing you will discover is the reverse side of the panel features a raised criss-cross pattern moulding to add strength to that section of the dash. Where you open up the holes for the switch mounts you'll need to pare back this moulding in order for the barbs on the switch mount to be able to grab hold of the dash cleanly.

Hope this helps

Remove the two fasteners you have highlighted and give the whole central section a tug to release it from the spring clips holding it in place. I've not tried it myself but this is definitely the way detailed by Land Rover.

So I don't need to remove any of the heater control knobs?

The manual says to remove the radio first. I'm not sure whether that's because it is in any way holding the rest in place or whether it is to protect it in the case where you yank the panel forwards - possibly beyond the reach of the radio connectors.