Total shut down

hi there, wonder if anyone has suggestions. I have a 10yr old 110csw defender 300TDi. Very infrequently i experience a total loss of all power forcing me to glide to a halt, my battery warning light remains on. After 20 secs or so perhaps a minute a minute i start up and off we go again. This has proved inconvenient when it happens at traffic lights or last time on a small bridge causing tailbacks !! i was advised a faulty fuel pump to blame and a new one fitted but still happens. Foreman at a landrover garage mooted it might be a faulty immobiliser but his garage doesnt deal with vehicles as old as mine. So no help there. A garage mechnic suggested a low battery in my ignition keyring could be to blame. i checked and it was low so i have replaced but is this true ? I am worried this happens to me on a busy road where I cant glide to a halt easily. Any suggestions ??...anyone ?

I had similar problems on my 110 2002 MY, the problems were related to the police spec wiring that was at the back of the ignition switch.

I started for me when I went around roundabouts and the car would just cut out, but battery lights stayed on, a few seconds later when stationary it would start again...

Worth a quick look by removing plastic cowling around the switch and checking wires are all on properly and might even be worth giving the connectors a crimp...

hi there, wonder if anyone has suggestions. I have a 10yr old 110csw defender 300TDi. Very infrequently i experience a total loss of all power forcing me to glide to a halt, my battery warning light remains on. After 20 secs or so perhaps a minute a minute i start up and off we go again. This has proved inconvenient when it happens at traffic lights or last time on a small bridge causing tailbacks !! i was advised a faulty fuel pump to blame and a new one fitted but still happens. Foreman at a landrover garage mooted it might be a faulty immobiliser but his garage doesnt deal with vehicles as old as mine. So no help there. A garage mechnic suggested a low battery in my ignition keyring could be to blame. i checked and it was low so i have replaced but is this true ? I am worried this happens to me on a busy road where I cant glide to a halt easily. Any suggestions ??...anyone ?

I agree with scube ... check that both earth straps are in good condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your advice. I checked the earths rattled the sealed immobiliser box and replaced the blipper battery (which was just about dead0 and so far i have had no more stops...........yet.. waiting with bated breath.... ta to replies