Repair your Sun Roof for £0.50 (fault, front failed to operate, rear w

Rickspark

Vehicle: Discover Series II, Year 2003, Model TD5, ES

Fault: Front Sunroof fails to operate, rear roof works as normal.

Symptoms: When pressed, the switch causes the electronic control unit (ECU) to click but there is no sound from the motor or movement of the roof.

Suspect cause of fault: Sun roof suffered a leak following a build up of debris between the glass and the seal 1 year earlier

1. Tools

3415055885_b493b3334d.jpg

2. Unclip sun visors and remove screws to lower overhead storage tray.

3415054051_1c328c8954.jpg

3. Unclip cable and remove the 3 fixing screws.

3415913332_c0c312d47e.jpg

4. Remove the 3 screws securing the motor housing to the worm gear case

3415107243_55bca96611.jpg

5. Separate motor from worm gear.

3415047417_c54271e4ec.jpg

6. Dismantle

3415048857_8b9cb5c922.jpg

7. Clean

3415105995_ddc7702c41.jpg

8. Place match sticks under each brush spring.

3415856858_cf9355c879.jpg

9. Push carbon brushes back to clear commutator.

3415914904_813de61daf.jpg

10. Pack motor bearing with grease.

3415863538_1e16c4ac38.jpg

11. Push motor rotor into housing, then add the brush housing and remove the match sticks. Check the springs rest on the brushes.

3415051221_0c0fd76599.jpg

12. Pack the worm gear with grease, part assemble and check the seal is located correctly.

3415106497_b142404b18.jpg

13. Replace the screws.

3415859060_9e5da6ff7b.jpg

14. Remount winder mechanism, secure with screws and reconnect.

3415053123_8aaa6aa14f.jpg

15. Test

3415861502_aa71cb27fe.jpg

16. Replace the overhead storage shelf.

Very good description. Thank you for posting. But how did the water get inside in the first place? Faulty rubber seal? Or is a naff seal design?

Small twig sitting between the glass and the seal. Cleaned seal and glass, all okay after that.

Some of those images are incorrect. Is it possible to change them or would I need admin to delete so I can re-post?

Small twig sitting between the glass and the seal. Cleaned seal and glass, all okay after that.

I understand that Rick, but I meant the water in the motor housing, as it appears fairly water tight. Or am I missing something?

I understand that Rick, but I meant the water in the motor housing, as it appears fairly water tight. Or am I missing something?

Not sure but the worm gear housing does not look particularly water tight. Screws were a little slack between the motor and gear so I guess it could also have been the seal between the two.

Not sure but the worm gear housing does not look particularly water tight. Screws were a little slack between the motor and gear so I guess it could also have been the seal between the two.

I believe these sunroofs are famous for the frames distorting in the roof allowing water to enter the roof lining due to poor design/quality. They either have to be removed/rebedded in sealer or sealed insitu as a less permanant fix.

Top man!

I took my motor out and condemned it last week as it looked bad... (like yours)

I will now have a go at stripping as I luckily didn't bin it... not sure where the screws are mind!

Sunroof has been tested with a Makita on the gearbox (motor removed) and is fine.

CHEERS!

Well,

Got the rotor out of the unit, but it was a little worse than yours....

The bearing in the 'cage' at the back of this shot came out with it due to the bearing being seized on the shaft.

Even with a soaking in plus gas...

Heat got the bearing off and I managed to get the bearing back in the cage..... Whether it stays or not..... :(

...so If you have issues removing this part, consider using a bit of heat on the back of the motor to expand the bearing.

Well,

Got the rotor out of the unit, but it was a little worse than yours....

The bearing in the 'cage' at the back of this shot came out with it due to the bearing being seized on the shaft.

Even with a soaking in plus gas...

Heat got the bearing off and I managed to get the bearing back in the cage..... Whether it stays or not..... :(

...so If you have issues removing this part, consider using a bit of heat on the back of the motor to expand the bearing.

That should do it I reckon, kill or cure, nothing to lose, blow torch on the back and twist it with mole grips, might do the trick.