Play in drive flange/half shaft

My 110 has always had quite a lot of play in the transmission. When changing a rear wheel bearing I noticed what I though was a lot of play between the drive flange and the half shaft so I took the oppertunity to replace both parts on either side.

The new half shafts and drive flanges arrived and were a tight fit together with no play at all. I noticed an improvement in the trasmission when driving it afterwards.

I have now noticed a little play in the other wheel bearing so thought I would inspect this before the MOT. After taking the half shaft out I noticed that there is now a simila amount of play between the drive flange and half shaft again. How much play would you expect to see here? I have only done about 2,000 miles since replacing these parts.

This is very common - especially on 110's. The drive member (flange) wears more than the splined end of the driveshaft and usually there's a clunk when drive is taken up. Occasionally the shaft end is worn as well and has to be replaced too. Just normal wear and tear really, and can be prevented to some degree by making sure the hub cap is a tight fit and partially filled with grease.

Les.

:o Don't mean to capture thread but I still have this "clonk" bogging me! I see there are leaking oil around the prop shaft to the front Axel. I am wondering if these descriptions above have something to do with it? :huh:

post-7610-1239101950_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1239102000_thumb.jpg

Don't mean to capture thread but I still have this "clonk" bogging me! I see there are leaking oil around the prop shaft to the front Axel. I am wondering if these descriptions above have something to do with it?

There shouldn't be any play - other than rotational through normal wear. If you can 'wiggle' the drive flange, then the nose bearing needs adjusting or replacing (now there's a fun job :) )

Les.