OT: Fancy some 100mph water skiing?

minivin

Taken from an email that's being going around the aviation world;

Not something that you see every day

Pilots Hone Their Skills For Upcoming Airshow Season. Photography by Frans Dely/Aviationdimension.com

Early morning anglers are treated to the spectacle of four T6 Harvard Aircraft from The Flying Lions Aerobatic Team waterskiing across the Klipdrift Dam near Johannesburg South Africa.

Lead by Scully ! Levin, with wingman Arnie Meneghelli, Stewart Lithgow and Ellis Levin, this renown airshow display team rehearse a sequence for the newly launched "Aviation Action" television program on Supersport.

Arnie Meneghelli from Academy Brushware, owner of the aircraft had this to say, "What we did today I believe is a world first. It illustrates that South African airshow pilots are amongst the best in the world".

This unusual act, approved by the South African Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), and supported by Castrol Aviation, was meticulously planned and took place under the watchfull eye of divers and paramedics that were on site.

DSC1271.jpg

DSC1304.jpg

DSC1327.jpg

That is unbelievably dangerous IMHO

I'm amazed the aircraft didn't flip and plough in nose first!!!

Rather them than me is all I can say!!!

Actually, in a tail wheel aircraft, no where near as dangerous as it looks. At that speed the water would act like concrete, and in a tail wheel aircraft all of the forces would be nicely balanced. It is simply aquaplaning - just like in a car. A tyre aquaplanes at 9* the square root of the tyre pressure - above that and you're ski-ing. If somebody tried it in a modern 'tricycle' aircraft, death would be pretty much certain. That said, here's a picture of what happens when it goes wrong

main_s33.jpg

Thought I would attache a nice photo of the aircraft that I used to fly, before some cretin 'forgot' to tie it down when it got breezy. What you can't see properly, is that it is very neatly parked on top of another aircraft. We lost 14 aircraft that day, all because the ops manager wanted to go down the pub a bit early.

22.jpg

now ex-ops manager ? :o

Yup, in a now ex-club. Unfortunately, the insurance excess on each aircraft was rather high, and all of them going over at once put something of a strain on the finances. It was just before the start of the summer as well, so the loss of the aircraft meant that there was no cash coming into the club. Result - no club, and me no longer flying 300 hrs per year :angry:

Anybody interested in how it's done - have a look at

Professional Pilot's Rumour Network

With the stability it also helps that they're Harvards, very stable platform that we've been using as a photographics platform for years, still got one used to train the Empire Test Pilots School, although it's days of photo-ing C130 Hercules pallet drops are now over (A400M may change that....)

mmm all very well till a 6" high wave comes along undercarriage digs in and blat.... I see what you mean though

Impressive but still not very sensible IMHO :)

When you really think about the whole "why are we here thing" life is not very sensible in general :D

I think it is fine to do these things in a proffesional way, as these guys, but a bit silly if you do not have the safety and backup etc.

Lara.